A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

9 of 17
CV-ArtSmart
Posted: 08 March 2014 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2014-03-07

I have Cinema 4d R15 Visualize and I can not seem to import an illustrator file using CV- Artsmart.  All I get is a blank screen.  Am I missing something?  I went to the plugin after installing and selected import object then press the ... button to access the a.i. file but no go. is there something that needs to be done in illustrator?  Please assist soon.  Thanks in advance.

Posted: 10 March 2014 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Token7,

Does the ai file contain actual curves? Keep in mind that Text will not import unless you use “Convert to Outlines”.

Does the Console (Shift-F10) contain any error messages? If so, copy those here so I can track them down.

Try clicking the “Force PDF” option to see if PDF-style parsing works.

Posted: 10 March 2014 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]  
Joined  2014-03-07

Yes it contains curves and text. No error messages. I just recently tried the trace option in ai and saved the file in illustrator 10 format and it loaded. Can you tell me what happened for future reference

Posted: 10 March 2014 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Text objects in Illustrator are really tricky or impossible to parse, so ArtSmart doesn’t support that yet. So you do have to Create Outlines on those.

Beyond that, it’s hard to say for sure without taking a look at the original ai file that failed to load. If you can upload that here, it might reveal a bug that I can sort out for the next release.

Posted: 17 March 2014 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-17

Hey, i just installed this artsmart file and already extracted it and all of that, but i have tried to install it in r13 and r14 but when im in the program, c4d cant find this plugin :( please help me im kinda in a hurry thanks man!:)

Posted: 17 March 2014 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Check the console (Shift-F10) - are any errors displayed?

You might need to delete your symbolcache by opening the prefs folder (Ctrl-E / Open Preferences Folder button) and deleting the file called symbolcache in the prefs. C4D will re-generate this file automatically when you restart.

Posted: 17 March 2014 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]  
Joined  2012-01-04

Hello.

Great plugin! I’m having a issue when I import a file some paths are not extrude, just a outline shows. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Posted: 18 March 2014 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Most likely it’s a path that isn’t closed. Zoom in really close in AI and make sure the path is actually closed.

I’m adding an option in the next ArtSmart release to automatically close all paths.

Posted: 19 March 2014 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2013-04-10

I have noticed that sometimes ArtSmart doesn’t load the AI file correctly when the file is burried to deep in a folder structure on a windows machine(which I often use when doing client work). If I than copy the file to the desktop it works fine most of the time. I’m using C4d on a german WIn7 machine

Posted: 25 March 2014 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]  
Joined  2012-01-04

THX!

Posted: 04 April 2014 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-04-02

I have installed Art Smart in to C4d R15 and when ever i try to re open a project that has used the artsmart plugin C4D crashes and i get the error message seen in the attached pic. Its definitely the plugin because when i uninstall the plugin and try to open a project where i had used it the project opens obviously the object imported using artsmart isnt visible but still the project opens without crashing the software. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Sorry about the poor quality of the image i dont know why thats happened!!

Thanks

Posted: 22 April 2014 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-04-19

Hi Rick! i have a problem with the plugin. When i tried to import an .ai file with the green icon or doing the drag and drop it shows me an alert message “Unknow file format!” and nothing appears.
I have the R14 Studio and i tried with css6, css5, css4 and didn’t work!
i couldn’t import anything from Illustrator with the cv-smart and i don’t know why.

I send you the jpg with the alert “unknown file” alert.

Sorry for my english because i’m from Argentina

thanks very much!

Posted: 22 April 2014 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
canteros21 - 22 April 2014 12:19 AM

When i tried to import an .ai file with the green icon or doing the drag and drop it shows me an alert message “Unknow file format!”
i couldn’t import anything from Illustrator with the cv-smart and i don’t know why.

You can’t drag an ai file directly into C4D. ArtSmart only handles the file if you load it through the ArtSmart Import command or by setting the file within the ArtSmart object. That said, it looks like you’ve set a file in the ArtSmart object and I’m not seeing anything. Try just drawing a simple rectangle in Illustrator and saving it - does that file load?

Posted: 22 April 2014 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-04-19
Rick Barrett - 22 April 2014 02:30 PM
canteros21 - 22 April 2014 12:19 AM

When i tried to import an .ai file with the green icon or doing the drag and drop it shows me an alert message “Unknow file format!”

You can’t drag an ai file directly into C4D. ArtSmart only handles the file if you load it through the ArtSmart Import command or by setting the file within the ArtSmart object. That said, it looks like you’ve set a file in the ArtSmart object and I’m not seeing anything. Try just drawing a simple rectangle in Illustrator and saving it - does that file load?

Yeah it works! Thank you very much!!! but some ai files, not all. Now i can import the old illustrations but in a new file. i think that cuold be the “Use compression” option in Illustrator but i don’t know.  Could be that the problem?

You were very helpful!!

Posted: 22 April 2014 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Compressed files should work too. If you want to attach a file that’s not working I can take a look.

9 of 17

CV Toolbox R23 ››