A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

8 of 17
CV-ArtSmart
Posted: 21 January 2014 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-21

Dear Rick
The fantastic Artsmart Plugin just stopped working with the most recent AI CC Version. To be more specific, the copy paste part between the applications does not work anymore. When I try to copy a spline to Illustrator it says “Couldn’t find Illustrator Clipboard ID”, the other way around just nothing happens.Importing via the PlugIn importer works as usual…
Best regards

Simon

Posted: 21 January 2014 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]  
Joined  2011-12-21

After restarting my computer everything works again, strange.
anyway , i’m glad it works now…sorry for the fuss.
Simon

Posted: 21 January 2014 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

Whew - glad to hear it. I was having trouble reproducing.

Posted: 05 February 2014 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]  
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-02-02

I am unable to get CV-Artsmart to load anything created in Illustrator CC. It loads any .ai created in other versions of Illustrator, but nothing from CC. Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

-Brant

Posted: 07 February 2014 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]  
Joined  2012-02-02

So is it safe to say that this plugin doesn’t work with the most current version of Illustrator CC? I have tried it on two different computer now, and get the same result. Any idea when you guys will update it?

Posted: 07 February 2014 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]  
Joined  2011-12-21

Hi Brant
No, it works here without any problems (and i have the most current versions of all the adobe software).
Perhaps try to remove all plugIns (maybe there’s a conflict with plugIns)
best regards
simon

Posted: 08 February 2014 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]  
Joined  2012-02-02

Ok, then it has to be something witht the way CC is saving the .ai files, because I can successfully import all of my old Illustrator files using the plugin. Just nothing I have saved out of CC. Even when I save it down all the way to Illustrator CS3 it still just shoes up blank. Weird.

Posted: 08 February 2014 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi Brant,

Sorry for the delay - I’ve been travelling.

It works fine here on CC - I’m guessing maybe there’s something in your file causing it to fail (likely a feature that’s unsupported prior to Illustrator CS3 which is why those formats work). You might try the Force PDF option. If you attach a sample file that’s failing here, I can debug it to determine what’s going wrong.

- Rick -

Posted: 25 February 2014 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-12-11

Art Smart is f’ing ace. Should be built in.

Posted: 26 February 2014 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]  
Joined  2014-02-25

Hello, I just started using artsmart yesterday and some .ai files I’m feeding it don’t import the colors correctly. I’m assuming the .ai files aren’t prepared correctly but I haven’t been able to find anything online about preparing those files for artsmart. I’m not very experienced with Illustrator and I’m receiving .ai files already created.

Can you offer any pointers for how the final .ai files should be prepared?

Posted: 26 February 2014 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

How far off are the colors? If it’s a minor shift, it could be due to color management. ArtSmart doesn’t take that into account. You can check the Illustrator color settings with Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-K.

If the Illustrator source colors are CMYK, there’s also some math involved to convert those values to RGB, and the conversion may not be precise. If you set Document Color Mode in the File menu to RGB, there’s no need for that conversion.

If you can share Illustrator files that exhibit the problem, it might help me track it down and perhaps fix any bugs for the next release.

Posted: 26 February 2014 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]  
Joined  2014-02-25
Rick Barrett - 26 February 2014 02:49 PM

How far off are the colors? If it’s a minor shift, it could be due to color management. ArtSmart doesn’t take that into account. You can check the Illustrator color settings with Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-K.

If the Illustrator source colors are CMYK, there’s also some math involved to convert those values to RGB, and the conversion may not be precise. If you set Document Color Mode in the File menu to RGB, there’s no need for that conversion.

If you can share Illustrator files that exhibit the problem, it might help me track it down and perhaps fix any bugs for the next release.

I changed the color over to RGB but it didn’t help. When I’m importing these .ai files all I get are white materials instead of the colors in the .ai file. I have a feeling the culprit is how these Illustrator files are being made, for instance when I receive them, everything is grouped into one layer, then the paths are sub grouped and sub grouped within groups and groups. I’m not familiar with working in Illustrator so I’m not sure what the file structure should look like.

I could send you an illustrator file but I would need to have you sign an NDA which isn’t a problem.

Posted: 02 March 2014 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]  
Joined  2012-02-02

Ok, I am so stupid. I thought the whole point of this was that I didn’t have to create outlines first… so that’s why it wasn’t working. Once I create outlines, everything works fine.

My bad.

-Brant

Posted: 03 March 2014 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
brantw - 02 March 2014 02:57 AM

Ok, I am so stupid. I thought the whole point of this was that I didn’t have to create outlines first… so that’s why it wasn’t working. Once I create outlines, everything works fine.

Parsing the text directly would be awesome, but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

Posted: 06 March 2014 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-05

When I use CV artsmart only the lines appear but not the fill (colors inside de drawing). Am I doing something wrong?

8 of 17

CV Toolbox R23 ››