A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

16 of 17
CV-ArtSmart
Posted: 07 September 2017 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2016-08-03

Hey how do I get the CV-ArtSmart Object to give actual material tags instead of Artmart Path Info Tags? I’m trying to convert an Artsmart object to a third party render engine. Need to be able to convert the actual materials.

Posted: 07 September 2017 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Dave_MW,

I have no idea what 3rd party render is used, and I’m certain I do not have installed this one. But just try the file below.

Scene File
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/xM3Mg44iHDCMcIGWKFRNYiONJL57hVSIv4sANpXZdUQ

If the colors are red-orange then the MoGraph Material has taken over.

Just a test, perhaps it works.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 September 2017 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]  
Joined  2016-08-03

It was something so so simple! I was using compression on my AI document…. Thanks!

Posted: 08 September 2017 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02
Dave_MW - 08 September 2017 02:09 PM

It was something so so simple! I was using compression on my AI document…. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing what caused the issue, should save the next person some trouble!

Posted: 02 March 2018 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]  
Joined  2015-09-15

Firstly, thanks for a very useful plugin!

I’ve encountered an issue copying closed multi-segment splines from C4D to Illustrator.

If an open multi-segment spline is created with e.g. the Spline Pen and then Close Spline is checked in the AM, it displays correctly in C4D but pastes into Illustrator with a point removed and altered tangent handles.

I think the issue derives from a conflict between the spline’s parameters and its Segment Tag, which retains the data {‘closed’ : False} after Close Spline is enabled (the data buffer is not writeable in C4D using Python).

I’d normally create closed spline paths anyway but at the moment I’m using Edge To Spline output. ETS creates multi-segment splines from full loops which are open with coincident start and end points. The issue arises when these splines are made non-linear and closed, and the Round command is used to reduce points.

For now I’m using a script to explode and reconnect spline segments as a workaround. This creates a correctly updated Segment Tag.

Just flagging the issue in case it’s not too difficult to compensate for this behaviour in an update.

Posted: 02 March 2018 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  406
Joined  2006-01-24

It’s been awhile, but I seem to recall trying to work around that problem and not finding a solution. I’ll put it in the backlog again though to investigate the next time I’m in the code.

Posted: 04 March 2018 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]  
Joined  2015-09-15

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve delved into things further and created a small patch for artsmartcore.py to address the issue.

It also covers a similar behaviour related to the same data mismatch: multi-segment splines created closed and then opened in the AM paste into AI as closed paths.

I was wrong about being unable to write to the segment tag data. For the record, SetAllHighlevelData() isn’t supported for this tag type but low-level access is available.

If you’re interested I can post the code here (17 lines) or send the updated file with a PM.

Posted: 18 August 2018 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]  
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2017-07-27

CV Art Smart is not working in C4d r19. Why not…? It works in my r17 version

Posted: 28 September 2018 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]  
Joined  2015-09-07

Hi all, and thanks for a (supposedly) very useful plugin.

However.

I can’t get CV-ArtSmart to copy from C4D and paste in Illustrator, no matter what I try:
Reinstalling manually, changing permissions, deleting symbol cache. I have tried with R20, R19, R18, Illustrator is CS5, running MacOS 10.13 and 10.14.
It work for import or CV-ArtSmart object, but not copy paste (which is the only way to export spline AFAIK. Paste (from AI to C4D) don’t work either.

If I copy paste some things in AI the paste menu is active and will paste the AI item. When copying in CV-ArtSmart in C4D, the paste menu in AI turns grey.

Console error message gives:
nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 17 [9: Bad file descriptor]
On a different computer:
nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 24 [9: Bad file descriptor]

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I tried on a different computer, running MacOS 10.10.5, C4D R16, AI CS5, with no further result, can not find an error message in the console even, just nothing.. (Ilustrator “paste” turns grey so clipboard somehow has changed, same as for previous tests)

Posted: 08 November 2018 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24

Hi allche - sorry you’re having issues. The ai file needs to either be saved as “PDF compatible” or with compression OFF. If this issue is limited to a specific file it would be great if you could post the file here so we could take a closer look.

Posted: 18 November 2018 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]  
Joined  2018-09-10

Hello, i’m new to cvartsmart
i have a 3d quilling effect to make with animation of growing drawing effect, i would like to know if it’s possible to control the order of growing from hierarchy? i would like to start from center of the draw, to exterior lines maybe with mograph spherical gradient it can acces to all the splines and that interacts with it and start the grow effect at contact?

Posted: 11 March 2019 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
nicolas rouelle - 18 November 2018 08:20 PM

Hello, i’m new to cvartsmart
i have a 3d quilling effect to make with animation of growing drawing effect, i would like to know if it’s possible to control the order of growing from hierarchy? i would like to start from center of the draw, to exterior lines maybe with mograph spherical gradient it can acces to all the splines and that interacts with it and start the grow effect at contact?

Unfortunately not. All the sweeps are grown at the same time. You could however make the ArtSmartObject editable and animate the growth of each sweep object. You might be able to sequence the animation with Xpresso or MoGraph Time Offset.

Posted: 11 March 2019 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
Leonardo Moreira - 12 February 2019 06:30 AM

Is it possible to make the mesh editable after all the adjustments? If yes, how?

Just press C or use Make Editable to convert the ArtSmartObject to a hierarchy of Extrude and Sweep objects. Select those and Make Editable again for editable polygons (or you can do it in one step with Current State to Object).

Posted: 11 March 2019 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-01-24
Nesgoro - 05 March 2019 03:18 AM

This is a great plugin, thanks a lot. What about sizing a CV-ArtSmart object in C4D (I am using R20)? When I try the normal C4D size tool I only affect the extrusion but cannot size the item (equally in all 3 axis). If I put it under a Null and size the null I get the same result. I am forced to go to AI, reduce the size there and the upload again. Also, what if I want to apply different materials to a logo? I tried to apply a metal material to a logo which is originally white but is not possible, I drag the material on top of the object/layer and the material just won’t be applied. Finally, when using constrain on the caps tab (so the bevel doesn’t increase the size of the original logo), my geometry gets all messed up. Does constrain work with the plugin? is there any other way to avoid the increase in size of the edges? Thanks!

To scale the ArtSmartObject, switch C4D to Object mode by holding the Model mode icon (below Make Editable) and choosing Object. Alternatively you can adjust the scale in the Coord. tab of the CV-ArtSmart object.

The easiest way to adjust materials is to click the Create Materials button in the CV-ArtSmart Object tab. Then modify the materials for each fill color. You can also enable the “Show Hierarchy” option or make the ArtSmartObject editable for more direct control over the materials applied to each object.

For constrained bevels CV-ArtSmart just uses C4D’s built-in algorithm, which often suffers from the issues you mention. I’ll often work around this by offsetting paths inward within Illustrator and leaving Constrain disabled.

Posted: 17 March 2020 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]  
Joined  2019-01-21

Hi-

Using illustrator cc and r21-

I have a high res image in Illustrator that I am tracing and I want to be able to go from Illustrator to C4d and back Many times but Artsmart Freezes unless I remove the image from illustrator, then save
is there a way to link these programs without deleting the image in illustrator everytime?

Thanks
Brian

16 of 17

CV Toolbox R23 ››