A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Biped Rigging 1b
Posted: 29 April 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-09-08

Hey again,

1  Well, was a while since I was rigging character. This time, I am not sure what I did not set or unset, but something is wrong with my joints I assume. Every-time when I select joints of my leg hierarchy & setting IK chain with ctrl key, all of my joints jump up. First time ignored it, placed them back into previous positions, but after setting a complex IK setup and adding constraints to a few of them according tutorial, same thing happened. Same in R13, R14. Any idea what could go wrong ?

I would like to use this opportunity to ask you as well about armor/items after setting whole IK of the character. Should I just put separate armor items/ shield, axe, boots etc. under selectors, so when part of the mesh is in movement, tailored armor moves with it or what is the best way to do it ?

Sincerely Jan

Posted: 30 April 2013 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jan Bosela,

I hope I get your question correctly, as Bret is not creating any joints in this part. (Biped Rigging 1b, I watched it all the way to understand your question in detail). If I get your question correctly, each time you set a new joint with the Joint-Tool and the CTRL key pressed, the existing joints move up. Is that the problem? Have you tried to delete the preferences? I assume your R14 is on the newest update. Is that with one scene file or each time you open a fresh new scene.

I’m not aware of an feature like that, so please check with the support if that happens even after the preferences are deleted and your application is restarted.

Question 2 is more for the Cineversity Q&A (but as I write already :o), and of course it depends on what you like to do over the course of the animation. If the character will never let go of it, constrains might be an idea. Armor parts can cover a wide area, so to just use one point might result in trouble. Sometimes a three point construction might work, three Nulls to the surface. Position, target and Up-vector then for the armor part. Case dependent.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-09-08

It was happening when I was applying Character/Create IK chain to already created joints. Was looking for some options and found in attribute manager under already created IK.. IK/FK was on 0%, as I change percentage joints move back. Sometimes simple stuff kicks me off smile

If I get confused very soon about that armor parts, will visit Q&A.

Thank you for you time.
Sincerely Jan

Posted: 02 May 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the update, Jan. Interesting, I can’t reproduce this here. Ik/FK is by default on 0% and whatever joint I select, the new use of the Joint-Tool creates a new hierarchy. I do not get any movement up with each new one.

Anyway, you found a way, and I can’t find a connection to this tutorial.

Yes, please post in the Q&A forum. This forum s supposed to be as close as possible to the content of the tutorials. So people get answers quickly—related to the content.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 May 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-09-08

Just realized you are right about that default setup. I am not sure why It does to me for every new IK chain then & now I realized I can not move my joints If I set it to 100%, so did not really solve it :/

Posted: 02 May 2013 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome. If the preferences clearing didn’t helped, and I missed a point, please take a moment and check this with the support. If there is something wrong, it might help others as well in the future to have cleared it. :o)

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 May 2013 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2012-09-08

It must have been just corrupted file or some sort of bag in that one, because when I have even before opened a new scene it worked all fine. I have deleted some pref files, but that did not work, It is quite freshly installed. Solution was to copy basically whole scene into the new file, And all is working fine. I was loosing hopes there ! :D Well, Interesting bag. Thx for your time, & sorry for bothering. I thought It is something with settings.

Sincerely Jan

Posted: 02 May 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks again, please never think at all about that a problem might bother. If there is a problem, it should be solved, otherwise it continues to exist. Nice that it works now.

Signature 

NEW: