A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Knife cuts on a curve
Posted: 07 March 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2006-06-20

I have an irregularly shaped object with lots of curves.  I am trying to mike control cuts all the way around the face of the object. But I want them all to be an identical distance from the edge.  Because of the curves I can’t just make straight cuts.  I’ve tried the loop tool but the complexity of the model doesn’t allow a proper loop. I’ve played with other options including cloning points from the edge and cutting point to point but again the curves make this unusable.

Is there a way to make sure my cuts remain an exact distance?  The only way I can think of is to put a spline guide in the shape of the object and make it a little smaller, then snap to the spline…  but again it is not the most accurate way.

I am attaching a pict just incase I haven’t explained the problem properly.

Thanks

Signature 

“Nothing is Easy”
     ————Jethro Tull

Posted: 07 March 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi TAK,

The Knife tool has some options, but it takes the “width” of the polygon into account. I can’t see it on your image how different the polygons are, if there is a large change “parallel” to the edge in question, then this is perhaps not an option. It fractions always the max distance, hence the % value.

The only way that you can introduce these is perhaps with the “Bevel” tool. You need to test that case wise, as the Bevel tool can’t deal with some kind of geometries, e.g., if the resulting Bevel would intersect.

I assume the idea for the parallel edge cut is based on HyperNURBS use, and the extra edges—which I call “Support Edges” are there to give HyperNURBS something to work with. With the Bevel tool this supports it even more, as the geometry becomes a little bit rounder already. BUT again, the Bevel tools is not a “push button and go” tool.

I’m certain someone has created a plug in for that, but I’m not aware right now of one (as most of them cost money, I can’t keep up to have a complete library).

Besides that, you could (if the model allows for that) select all “top” polygons, move them down for the amount you need and then Extrude with the same amount. Perhaps not always possible.
OR
Select the top polygons, move them way up, then cut with loop, which should be now nearly parallel, then select all the top parts and move it back. The idea is that the loop averages the two parallel edges, and if drag far apart (really far!!!) then it is “nearly” parallel. If moved back with the new edges, the relation to the top edges remain.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 March 2013 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Feel free to checkout: Chamfer Maker
https://vimeo.com/44197073
This may help with what you are looking for.
Try the parallel mode under the type dropdown.

Posted: 07 March 2013 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-06-20

Bevel really didn’t work.  And yes I am trying to make cuts for the hypernurbs.  The Chamfer plug in is very cool but doesn’t quite do what I need it to do.  I use the parallel function and I do get an even line the proper distance from every edge ... however there don’t seem to be any points associated with these new lines.  It doesn’t seem to actually create new polygons.  I have tried a number of options to select these new lines but nothing works.  I have to do “current state of object: and then it creates the new polygons.  It is such a complicated model I have to do it in sections. 

I can however use the new lines as a guide to make my cuts, knowing that it is even.  I can’t snap to it but it is close enough to make it work.  Will definitely use this plug in.  Thanks.

Signature 

“Nothing is Easy”
     ————Jethro Tull

Posted: 08 March 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi TAK,

Yes, I’m aware of the limitations of the BEVEL tool, as I wrote, its usefulness is very dependent on the geometry. Modeling is like playing chess, each move counts.

You mentioned “new lines”, what are these lines if they do not produce new points? Edges are based on points. Polygons are based on edges. There is no option in C4D to my knowledge in the polygon modeling—that produces something like that. Sounds not healthy to me, perhaps I misunderstand ...

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 March 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2006-06-20

The “new lines” are a product of the Chamfer plug in. It’s sort of like how a hyper nurb adds lines that you can’t select and have no points.  If I Make Editable the lines and vertices appear. It is a pretty cool plugin.

In the long run, it looks like I am going with a flat piece and displacement maps.  The rounded edges aren’t as clean but the whole build and model are much more manageable.

Thanks for the help.

TAK

Signature 

“Nothing is Easy”
     ————Jethro Tull

Posted: 12 March 2013 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey TAK,

It is a generator, I had no idea that you didn’t make it editable. Why not? When it delivers exactly what you want. Sorry I can’t follow here.

Good luck.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 March 2013 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2006-06-20

Well, because of the irregular nature of my model… the curves and the raised areas…. the generator only worked on a short area before it went off kilter…  in retrospect I should have taken the time to do selections and do it one by one… but I thought I could tackle it another way.

TAK

Signature 

“Nothing is Easy”
     ————Jethro Tull

Posted: 12 March 2013 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the extra information and taking the time to share! I have described several methods above, no feedback on those. If you share an example, I would check it out of course.

Signature 

NEW: