A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloth and wind PLEASE RESCUE ME
Posted: 07 March 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2006-09-26

Hi all… I am attempting to animate cloth using wind within the clothe tag on a flag that is hanging vertically like a curtain the problems I have are as follows:

1 I need a slow easy breeze look
2. It cannot distort the model too much just enough to give a slight ripple.
3. I have to be able to loop it

Below is a link to show where I am at thus far…
https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJpQ3QzT2JlcEs1aWNUQw

Thank you all for your help in advance… I know its not a very controllable animation but trying to gain more understanding…

Thanks!
Ben

Posted: 07 March 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

Leave all the light and textures out for a moment and make a preview to see what part of the animation/simulation you like to use. The start and the end should look similar. If you know, based on that preview, what part of the animation/simulation you like to use (from frame to frame) then you can start working:
You might use the Point Cache or the “Animation Clip” (or even the Alembic export to get this data to loop. The Alembic is here only a step between to get to the first two one.)

The Point Cache sounds like the fastest method, but also less adjustable compared to the Animation Clip option. In the Point Cache you set the time of the sequence you like to have looped. Cache it and set the time back to Auto Time. Disable the Cloth Tag: Attribute Manager>Tag>Cloth Engine [off]. Set the loop amount and the the blend value.

Keep in mind that you can use the “Point Cache Tag” with the Character: Point Cache Object! In that way you can adjust the strength not only via “Strength” in the tag, you can use the Point Cache Object’s falloff. Even better, you can use several of the Point Cache Objects (like Deformers!) for one object. If the loop time differs, you avoid the nasty loop-repetition signs. If one loop is 4 and the other is 5 frames, the first repetition would come at frame 20. Of course your loops might be 200 frames and 330 to get an long effect.

My suggestion, start with a low res model and experiment with the timing and what method works best for you.

All the best

Sassi

A rough example:

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_CLfl_81.c4d.zip  (File Size: 480KB - Downloads: 183)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Knife cuts on a curve      Silly Question ››