A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Render objects in separate passes without overlapping
Posted: 11 March 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-12-20

I’m wondering how can I render the objects in my scene with their hidden geometries rendered into different image sequences? So that I can drag them as I wish in photoshop or ae like software.  I know I can render them with render selected only or with object buffers but the main thing is can I do it with just one click and without losing any hidden geometry?

Posted: 11 March 2013 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Sakabatou,

Not to my knowledge. “Object-Buffers” take only the visible parts. “Render only” active objects excludes any other objects including their influence to the active one.

Hidden Geometry stays Hidden. The only way out is to export 3D geometry—but that excludes then the rendering. Even baking would not really help here. If you are good in NUKE for example, you could export them as Alembic file, place textures on them again. Alembic takes mostly only point values and cameras, etc. Nuke has a lot of compositing tools, most of them are way more advanced than any Adobe tool. Perhaps that helps your target. It is less 3D than C4D with no doubts, so it is an evaluations of advantages and disadvantages.

Keep in mind that the objects have an influence to each other, mainly shadows, which might have the side effect that some parts are just in the dark—scene based of course.

To render each object on a specific layer, but keep the interaction intact—reflections, GI light and color “bleeding”, refractions and transparencies, sounds all like a huge limitation if that would be excluded, but if included, it would make as well no sense. How to separate a half opaque object from its object that is behind it.

If you like to do that, you might place them strategically on Layers, to switch them easily off or on. Then use the “Render Queue…” to place all your renderings. Separate renderings, multiple times longer. All the problems with reflections, shadows and transparency/refraction to manage, as mentioned before. Compositing tags might help, but in large scenes, an even greater effort to manage.

But if you have a good reason for that, suggest it to MAXON.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 March 2013 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-12-20

The scene I’ve been working on is simple and just to have that flexibility I have to use Maya instead of C4D. Maya has that ability and Max also too (I’m not sure about max.) Using Alembic files in Nuke can do but if I choose that path then I have to recreate nearly everything. Budged is the worst enemy.

Posted: 12 March 2013 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Nice that you have an alternative. Good luck with the project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]