A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Show Motion clips Ghost not showing for Mixamo clips on MAC
Posted: 12 May 2020 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2020-01-07

I’m following gall the tutorials (I looked at many) and they all seem to show the ghosted motion clips from Mixamo. I did “Make clip and have the motion tag. I’m trying to match up the end of one clip to the beginning of the next using the pivot. I need to see the ghosted rig, I even see the checkbox to show the ghosted motion, but for some reason, it never shows? Am I missing some setting here? Is it a Mac bug? A Mixamo bug?
Thanks for your help in advance.
p

Posted: 12 May 2020 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi, psussi.

I have sent you an upload link. Please just the needed parts in the file, no 3rd party plug-ins, etc.

I will have a look at it.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 May 2020 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

Thank you! I just uploaded the file. I poked around a few things..so..hopefully I didn’t make a mess of it…but nothing worked..:(

Posted: 12 May 2020 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, psussi, for all the files.

I’m sorry that you run into those troubles. This seems to be not solvable from my side. I will file a report after I have finished this post here.

Here is an example with your file (no polygon model, just joints) how it should work. This is R21. I would think it is based on the complete new reworked Viewport code. No excuse, just stating a suspicion.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/UbACubPYO6LMBriHGQ8kLWq00BrDkwCDibWm1HYXy7h

You can contact, of course, the support as well, to get another perspective about it.

A few things, I have dragged the Polygon object out of the hierarchy, and the clips. If you keep them there, you have to keep something there always, and any animation clip you have saved needs then an object (at least there), which might make this less compatible. If a clip has stored animation there, for that polygon object, it will interfere with the animation, mainly when looped, and then the object isn’t required to do so., etc. Just my 2cents.

I hope that this will be patched ASAP. Until then, please note that it can be disabled in three places. In the viewport filter, in the clip and as another option in the Motion System tag (Attribute Manager).

I checked all combinations, with all viewport Display setting options, hence the time I needed. Nothing was able to give me what R21 does. Sorry about that. However, I’m sure that it is only a temporary annoyance.
Sorry that your studio has to deal with that during an evaluation time since all is new, and it feels more stress full, I guess. I reread the manual, just in case.

I will check the next published iteration and share the news here.

My best wishes, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 May 2020 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

Thank you so much for your time and effort. Very impressed with this forum. I downloaded 21 and all is fine. I’ll be sure to look for patches on 22.

Be well.

Posted: 12 May 2020 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, psussi, thanks for the kind feedback. My pleasure.

Great that R21 works for you, and can deliver what is needed right now.

Please let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

Thanks, be well, as well!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 May 2020 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

So…it seems I unearthed a bug in R21 too. It seems that if you import a Mixamo rig, it somehow bugs out the rest of the files some.

If you have a motion, bake it..and let’s say you want it to follow a spline..not even sure it’s possible..was just testing / learning. Well..you can add the “align to spline” but the tag area where you add the spline is greyed out. OK..maybe not designed to work with rig? However, if you add a simple cube and star spline..I still can’t attach the cube to the spline. It’s like its busted.

I did see on greyscale gorilla there is a Mixamo bug where you select/deselect the “lock override” in the take tab. It now is no longer greyed out..but won’t accept the spline name.

Even odder is the fact if you rig the cube and spline in a separate scene it works..but if you copy and paste it into the scene with the Mixamo rig…it will work..but the spline name is blank. AND, you can’t select a different spline.

Grrr…any idea?? Work around?

Posted: 12 May 2020 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi psussi,

No file, no certainty. If something is grayed out, perhaps it is the Take System? Is it active on Main? (little white square)

Could you just use the upload link from yesterday? I like to see it and give you a proper answer.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 May 2020 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Does anything looks familiar in this clip
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/vOnOQIMgtpICw0zoJjI7NHOM82eTSJ3wP92XJNJQ8tn

In the first half, I work as I always do with these clips. Avoiding that the Merge/Mixamo.fbx creates Takes at all.

The second half shows how the scene gets altered if any Takes are created. A short introduction of how to overwrite for a specific Take the parameters of a given part.

If there is no urgent need for Takes right now, keep it to the Main Take, so you can focus on the animation.
Exploring Cinema 4D newly, while owing a considerable amount of muscle memory from another app, often leads to a claustrophobic feeling in the beginning. You certainly know that! I hope I can ease a little bit this kind of frustration.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 May 2020 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

First, off, sorry for the late reply, I had a rush job that I had to head to the studio for.

Ok, this helps..and all is working correctly, as per your video. Thank you!

One question, if I have a simple walk loop..is there a way to attach it to a spline and have it follow the heading of the spline..so it looks like he is following the path of the spline? Right now, if I attach the rig to the spline., the rig only points to the duration it was normally facing, and will not “turn”. Make sense?

Just trying to nail down some common workflows we get job wise, thanks for your patience.

Pete

Posted: 14 May 2020 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the reply, Pete, very much appreciated.

There are certainly some things that need to be pointed out. (A scene file would help to be more precise). Anyway. If the object is following the position, but not the orientation of a spline, perhaps the Tangent Checkbox is off.

I’m sure you are aware of the Euler Problem/Angle. If that hits you, after using Tangent, a Rail is needed. A rail, given the simplest case, is a copy of the Spline but moved away. It works then as a target.

Splines are not equally dense, going what the Align to Spline is concerned. If the distance among all points is too different, the walk cycle along the Spline might be random. If you have that problem, please let me know, I will go then more into detail.

I have attached two different Walk Cycle options. Both use a Spline as a base. The Align to Spline with a Mixamo seems to be the most simple, but also the one with slipping feet when curves need to be done. That might or might not be an issue. (See file …_21.c4d)

More precise, but equipped with a learning curve is the CMotion object, but it is certainly way more sophisticated than a puppet pulled along a path. (See file …_01.c4d). In a nutshell: Based on a “Stride” distance, a single full cycle will be calculated for motion (move, rotate), with available individual instructions. From the Hub (core body) to the Target (e.g., legs, arms). The Cycle can be shifted to get left and right side motions.

Project files:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/lUTndPHLfbE71nGC5chP2xvd91pM5tbNh7pMs6GVCXM

Let me know if there is another question. If it touches a different theme, please start it in a new threat. Thanks for considering, as this keeps the forum readable.

My best wishes.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 14 May 2020 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2020-01-07

Welp…you answered my question again! perfect. Thank you.
I do love the simplicity of C4d so far! Thank ro the help.

Pete

Posted: 15 May 2020 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Pete, thanks for the reply.

This simplicity is undoubtedly a goal while balancing the complexity created by continually growing the application in functions and options.

My best wish for your explorations.

Signature 

NEW: