A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Major slow down when handling an auto model from Turbo Squid/Hum3D
Posted: 13 April 2020 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-06-19

Hello!

While trying to light an auto scene, I’m having a major slow down in performance in Cinema. It would be great to know the best way to handle this problem I’m facing. Is there a setting in Cinema I’m missing? Is there a more efficient workflow I could use to handle the model better? Any recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks!
Will

Posted: 13 April 2020 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

I can easily rotate the model, and nothing slows down. I do that on an iMac Late 2015. Not the fastest machine, for sure.

Go to the Attribute Manager> Mode> View Settings> HUD: Frames Per Second. This allows you to see how much each change affects performance. It is an estimate, and underlying requests from other applications will influence it as well. Keep Web browser closed, especially Chrome can suck the life out of your system.

The best advice would be to have a proxy for your scene, just a few cubes and cylinders, perhaps for the wheels. To get this “under-painting” right.
The Polygon reduction, creates at 80% a relatively useable model, while cutting the amount of polygons below half. I would place the Carpaint objects under a different Polygon Reduction.

If you are in Edit View Menu> Options> Enhanced OpenGL, perhaps turn off Reflections and Transparencies. Turn on or off Backface Culling, to see what works best. After each click, rotate the view and see when fps are higher.
On my simple machine, the steps above result in a performance ration of 1:5 already.

Whatever you do, delete the number plate, it is the only part that has bad polygons in it. Create a new one later on.

The parts trunk02 and trunk_00 are roughly 15% of your overall polygons, while they don’t really have any significance for the main lighting set up.

If you go to the material “black” to Assignment and select all the objects listed there, then place them on a Layer and switch them off for view and rendering you might see another boost in performance. Since they are black, they have a minor role in the initial lighting. However, you pick what matters to you, I can only suggest.

I would replace the complete wheels with a Cylinder Proxy, for the most time during prep. Rims and rubber have quite a high polygon number.

It might be a good idea to place all objects assigned to the material on a specific layer to have more control over it.

Check the mesh carefully, I saw bad polygons.

All the best, and stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 April 2020 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2012-06-19

As always you are super helpful Dr. Sassi! The scene didn’t have the slow down issues on my less powerful Mac machine. My main work PC is struggling with this model for some reason. Is there any reason why the PC would have more trouble. I think I can use my mac for now to get around the problem. I will also try out your other recommendations.

Thanks a lot Dr. Sassi!

Posted: 13 April 2020 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Will, thanks for the reply.

You should run Cinebench on all your machines and see what performance you have in each computer and subsequently in each part.

http://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

When you go along that list from above, you might see what cuts into your performance. That part needs to be off then, e.g., transparencies or reflections. Start with an entirely empty scene, what FPS shows the HUD information, that will be the best you can get. Any addition to the scene will not speed it up. So with each “switch,” you turn, you will see what is going on.

Perhaps Cinebench gives you some pointers, and it can be as simple as replacing the disks with SSDs or a different Graphic card.

Hardware suggestions or performance analyses of individual systems should be done outside of Cineversity. I would feel very uncomfortable to say anything without testing things on my own. To have, for example, a dozen different builds, here would be the minimal requirement to form any relevant opinion. To just read about stuff and think that will cut it is not my idea of being a good consultant. The first-hand experience is what is needed. You get that with Cinebench.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 13 April 2020 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2012-06-19

Thanks Dr. Sassi! I really appreciate it.

Posted: 13 April 2020 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I hope you find the bottleneck in the system, Will.
I certainly know how frustrating that can be.
Fingers crossed!

Signature 

NEW: