A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Just curious: Would it be possible to develop a Vr Cardboard reticle or Gaze pointer in Python?
Posted: 10 February 2017 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-04-13

Hi ! I’m exploring Unity at this moment to find out if i can combine CV VRCam scenes build in C4D
in e-learning VR projects. My client is dreaming to add levels of assesment linked to users-ID’s and the use of reticle an gazepointers to interact with the VR evironment.
(comparable with archived user game scores). I was just wondering if Python is developing a future SDK or whatever in this direction…...Just curious

Posted: 10 February 2017 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2007-07-02

Hi @powetri,

For what you want to accomplish I suspect CV-VR Cam won’t be part of your workflow. Reticle-based interaction tends to benefit from actual 3D geometry in the game engine rather than just 360 stereo video. You might want to check out our Cinema 4D -> Unity ( https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/unity_game_development_with_cinema_4d/unity_game_development_with_cinema_4d_part_01 ) tutorial series.

I suspect there will be some Python VR projects in the future, but at the moment most of the VR development is happening in C++ and surprisingly enough Javascript + WebGL.

For unity though, you’re probably best off learning C#, or if that’s intimidating, you might want to look into the PlayMaker asset on the Unity Store along w/ an additional VR add-on pack.
Best of luck!

Donovan

Posted: 10 February 2017 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-04-13

Ok thanks Donovan,I’ll stick to exploring Unity and the GoogleVRForUnitypackage allthough I’m an absolute noob there.
Nevertheless i found a great series of tutorials from NurFACEGAMES that introduce the very basics of GazeInputs and Reticles.
I will first start to at least try to understand that part. (Being 62 yo my ability to adapt is decreasing dramaticly):-)

BTW Thanks for the link to the C4D-Unity tutorial series.

Henk