A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Object Glow
Posted: 10 December 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-25

Hello,
I’m having trouble with when I use the camera on standard and adding depth of field I loss my object glow, in the sceen when rendered. If I use physical in camera I get the glow. I like using standard it takes less time to render. I have attached a simple file what I’m I doing wrong?

Also I posted a question about. On need help with tutorial “MoDyn Medical Logo, Part 4” not sure if it got posted!
Thanks

File Attachments
glowc4d.zip  (File Size: 165KB - Downloads: 248)

Posted: 10 December 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

As far as I know, what you are seeing here is a limitation of “post effects”
Essentially the 2 2D passes have no good way to work together…the glow would get blurred based on the z depth, but since the glow isn’t included in the z-pass it fails.
My assumption here is that the thinking would be, that rather than a so-so effect from the renderer, let the user create the glow in post.

Perhaps Dr. Sassi will clarify :D

Posted: 10 December 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-05-17

Also not seeing anything for the medical logo tutorial in the tutorial discussion forum.
What’s the issue you are having?

Posted: 10 December 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2012-04-25

Hi Patrick,

You have me at Z-depth and Z-pass not sure what that means yet and no post I just trying to learn, if there is a tutorial I should take a look over on this subject please advise. As to other I’ll try it again later with new string.
thanks

Posted: 10 December 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-05-17

Lol, it’s ok.
I kept the response short, as I don’t know if the good Dr. is crafting something more elaborate…as he always does a much better job describing the issues than I.
I didn’t want to step on any toes or feed you any information that was too off.
So we will see if he posts, if not, I’ll attempt to dive deeper into the topic.

I just wanted to give you a quick response so you know you’re not going crazy (That is always my first reaction when something isn’t working :D )

Posted: 10 December 2012 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Patrick for the nice words, you never stepped on my toes so far. I was out for lunch (Pacific Time Zone!) I will check the file. I’ll be back soon with more information, but yes, standard glow and Z-depth are not working together.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 December 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Midnightrider,

The first thing that needs to be differentiated is the use of options/effects (2d and post) and volumetric (3D) creations. But, yes, it is not as simple as that alone.

As things might change, I went through the most possible scenarios, as I normally avoid that theme as much as possible in 3D directly. Glow is a hard to justify “quality” if DOF blur is there or not (if the effect is not exaggerated!), in that way it is an remarkable post effect—except when it is needed in reflections or refraction etc.

The Standard Rendering (vs the e.g., the Physical) has no option (Effects Tab) to calculate anything that is performed after the main rendering. As Patrick mentioned, this is a post effect. Glow by itself has more than this as limitation, for example objects behind “glass” will not render with glow. Think of it as information that needs to be directly and pure in the view of the camera. If that pixel has to be a glow effect than the post effect will use it, other wise it is gone. Gone means here - based on the depth of field it is not pure information anymore, it is mixed and lost the trigger function to get “glowed”. (This is perhaps not a real technical information, like one would expect in a “Technical Director Handbook”, but this is how I would describe it.

Alpha and Depth of field is supported since a while, but Alpha should be 100% transparent—otherwise the results might not satisfy.

The Z-Mapp or Z-Pass, is the pass that you get as Depth-path in Multi-pass rendering. It turns the distance among objects and camera into gray values. The scale of it is based here how the camera is set up. Based on these values, After Effects can to a certain degree render depth based effects. To a certain degree means here, each pixel is a value and not an picture element anymore, hence no use of Anti Aliasing here. It can have only one distance. Anti Aliasing would deliver a value between two objects, and the quality goes south based on that. A typical beginner mistake to try to get away with it. Objects have then a weird blurry outline around them. Not nice nor wanted.

If you think about the single value rule for these maps, any fog, glow or “whatever” volumetric information can’t (!) be included. It is not a given to have the luxury of a depth compositing information available with it. (It is technically possible to do this and standard for some advanced studios, but the file size explodes with this kind of data, so if you can’t effort a three digit number of MB per frame and pass, skip it. Perhaps later. Perhaps you can imagine how slightly refractive glass can work in this, like 20 objects in a row, like bottles or such, each changes the object behind it as well, each time a different blur-factor. As 3D application try to simulate reality, it is always to se in conjunction with render times. Practical light can do that a billion times perhaps (refracting, bouncing etc) in an 1/48th of a second (standard film/movie exposure time for example. To get that 100% simulated no computer in an standard budget is able to do that). So, having said that, objects have a point in space and that becomes blurred. Nice and easy. Glow is a volumetric (at least it should be…, effect. Depth of field is a spatial effect. In that way the glow needs to be rendered and blurred differently with each “increment” of distance to the camera. Volumetric effects are not easy on the hardware, but to blur something blurry—with a lot information behind it (other objects, perhaps with glow again) a render-engine night mare -time wise. So, the given 2D simulations are there to make everyone as much as possible happy. But of course the blur of it should be different in the reflection of it, as the distance is different, etc, etc. There comes the artist into the game to decide how to “fake it”, and how to use compositing to support a sane render time.

Please keep in mind that any post effect in CINEMA 4D has no effect inside of the scene, hence—no reflection of such effects, no refraction nor shadows, etc.

Similar to that is the “Glow” Option (vs Object Glow) it works on “hot” values or Object Buffer, but as well here, there are more limitations than real advantages. One needs to know the needs the scene, the target etc to decide how useful that is.

So, end of story? There are some workarounds, but I haven’t seen anything that solves the problem and avoids producing new problems. So, if needed, you have to pay for it with render time, will say—>Physical Renderer, also here, the glow will not show in reflections, based on its timing in the render pipeline.

The other way is to take a copy of that object, and use the Mesh>Create Tools>SmoothShift, to create a slightly larger object, use a luminance channel on it and in the transparency a fresnel to gain soft borders. This needs to be an extra pass and “added” to the renderings later on. It works in reflections and refractions. BUT: Refractions and Reflections have no Depth of Field either, so that is perhaps as well not the way to go.

If you like to have it, the physical renderer takes the “Glow” option (RenderSettings) not the Object Glow or the Material Glow even through glass like objects.

It is a tricky work and needs attention to detail, will say project/case specific. I have no other answer here.

I’m happy to look into specify cases, if a scene file is provided.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 December 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2012-04-25

Thanks Patrick!
Doc I’m back and going over your notes. And will get back to you in a bit
Thanks as always

Posted: 11 December 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

HI Midnightrider,

You’re welcome. I hope we will find something for your scene. Yes, please ask. This is important to know, as it is not visible “directly” in the renderings, but important to understand

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 December 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2012-04-25

Sassi,
My file is attached in first post but nothing but a practice file.
This was totally done on accident I was just working with the physical camera and standard camera settings and different lighting not on real plan just practicing and came across it.
I have been also looking up what you and Patrick brought up about Z-Mapp or Z-Pass and Multi-pass. I’ve yet to get into the using it or exporting C4D into AE so for.  But I’m going to hit all of tutorials on these subjects along with! well lets just say I need to hit them all!!! and copied your notes Doc to keep going over and study! 
And I did use the Mesh>Create Tools>SmoothShift, to create a slightly larger object, use a luminance channel etc.. on the file I sent, thats exactly what I’m looking for and it that was so easy! and I added a OMNI light with inner and outer distance to create a glow when passing by another object next to the light. Very cool!!! I would have never thought of that!
Thanks
Doc!! & Patrick

Posted: 11 December 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’r welcome Midnightrider.

The main idea is to know what is “fake” and what is really 3D created in space, like Visible light vs Volumetric light. From there you might create your pipeline further. Preparing passes for export and compositing.
I think the main problem is—to assume—that everything has to be 100% realistically simulated. That might be in some cases not even possible with 1.000s of CPUs. In most cases “we” (the 3D artists and the compositors) try to create the illusion and not a 100% representation in C4D. The result is all I (personally) care about. I know that some people have fun with all of that in C4D like GAME ENGINE, but that touches not really my professional interest, certainly my interest explore it playfully ;o) but that is a different story. In this way, to find the simplest way, which should be also the fastest to set up, render and deliver, should be the key here. This exactly needs knowledge about the craft of 3D and compositing, and here is certainly the border where artists split into different direction.

An example scene is nice, but if that scene file is not “really” congruent with the project, it might create the wrong answer.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: