A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Proxy files vs Render instance
Posted: 14 June 2022 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2020-07-14

Good day everyone,

I could use clarification on some C4D basics.  I have a file that has 3 separate cloning systems that I’m using to cover surfaces
in an interior render.  I’ve cloned some low-poly stones and leaves and checked render instance in the cloning tab under instance mode.  I learned (or so I thought) that an optimal way to work with your scene, if you are finished working with the cloner AND using Redshift is to create a Redshift proxy object.  This was working really well for me until I tried to send this to Rebusfarm.  The proxy file was not being read and I had to switch tactics.  I then tried to render via the renderfarm going back to the cloner, still using render instance mode.  The cloner has a random effector on it.  The problem here is that the render farm needs any mograph instances to be cached, obviously, even if you aren’t animating the properties.  When I do this, I go from using zero MB to 4 gigs, making the file very difficult/expensive to upload/render.  There simply has to be a way around this other than not using my stones and leaves in the scene.  Am I missing something basic?  Surely there’s a way to either work with reduced cache file sizes or render out clone systems with organic displacement without a several gigabyte file?  Also, at it’s core, is the difference between a proxy file and a cached file just the animation information? 

thank you,
  Jerry

Posted: 14 June 2022 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerry,

In each case, check the manual as well, as your scene has perhaps something specific that I don’t know. Otherwise, I would just need to copy and paste the specific sections of the manual completely.

A Redshift 3D Proxy is optimized and only called up if any “ray” hits its content. IF the Proxy is image relevant for the whole time, the savings are less impressive. Please note that the use of Proxy is not along with my idea of the term Proxy, even though it can be used that way. Proxy to me means a Stand-In like on set until the real star comes in. From my point of view, a proxy is used for a low-resolution mesh, for example. In Redshift 3D, it means the same thing is optimized only as much as possible or for direct use without conversions. It feels like it is a Proxy-deluxe. wink

Cashing in MoGraph does not include any Geometry, Textures, or anything, but it contains a few pieces of information that can be expressed with a Matrix and Color. This helps in many cases to overcome priority issues and recalculate efforts. If you write a cache file out for one frame, you will see that it is smaller, the same for 1000 cubes with one segment and cubes set to 10x10x10 segments.

Render instances, allow me here to point to the manual
https://help.maxon.net/c4d/s26/en-us/Default.htm#html/OINSTANCE-ID_OBJECTPROPERTIES.html#ri

There are more options, like Redshift 3D’s Object Tag> Particles or saving it to Alembic first. Each might also have downsides; here would be the render-farm to ask for help and what they need to get things done correctly.

With landscapes, it might often be useful to think in the foreground, middle ground, and background and render those accordingly and separately, if possible, which means that backgrounds often show minimal parallax for small items and could be replaced by a camera-mapping or texture. IF the camera movement is slight, the complete background of a large landscape could be replaced with an equirectangular (360ºx180º) image.
In RS3D, the option to define the tessellation based on distance or if it is in the frustum might also help.

Sorry that I can’t talk about external render farms, as I don’t use those, and it might be a good idea to ask the support if their answers are sound or if there is room for improvement.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]