A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

C4d R23 Toon Rig   Eye Geometry - Controller Connection Issue
Posted: 31 January 2021 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2020-04-26

Hi,

I added my own eye geometry with it’s own materials to the character Hierarchy, But when I move the Eye controller in animate mode and do a test render, the eye seems to be stuck and will not rotate or I can not see the geometry material at all unless I remove it from the hierarchy.

Still easing into understanding the character hierarchy and how it’s tags work. Feels like I’m missing a tag setting, Do I maybe need to attach my geometry to a PSR or some other Tag?

Notes
- Geometry was place in the same exact spot in the character hierarchy, as I observed in Toon Series tutorial (by Sebastian Pfeifer).
- I’m not sure If I’m supposed to, but I added the eye geometry to the character object binding list, to ensure that the object had a
  skin tag to match the same tutorial.

Thanks!

Please see link to the file below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ff4oSMXWFmbwL18URgSEKbUkbZlO6B-J/view?usp=sharing

Posted: 31 January 2021 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi davidharris3d,

Thanks for using Google as cloud service.

It seems to have two sets of eyes now. You haven’t mentioned which one. There are eyes with a brownish material (I can see only the preview, so I have replaced it for now) and a set with pupils, etc.

The file I got had both sets of eyes each time open. The flat projection was way too large in some cases.
Use the Texture Mode, then select the Material, after set to flat (I would always use UV, or at least spherical here, but not important for your question).
With the projection method set, again, you used Flat here. Check the preview frame. Frame the eye when you look straight to the face. Otherwise, use the rotation tool (Again: in Texture Mode!)Then use the
Object Manager, Tags> Fit to Object, or one of the two alternatives below, whatever fits the most for you.
Short screen capture
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/BLdHp9g5m6nDW7vyQiuB8mS2RLh9405SrFxMaGldClK

Some Material tags had an Xpresso connection to the Offset, no idea why. You might have your ideas about it.

If I set each set separately to be visible, they move with the eyeballs.

That the option Materials in the Editor view. Options are active might not need to be pointed out, perhaps it does.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 February 2021 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2020-04-26

All noted, I apologize for the multiple sets of eyes in the file, I see how that was confusing.

Thanks for your response, it helped me to better understand what was going with those materials. I decided to reapply the Toon character rig to clean up the hierarchy for fresh reset and to bring back default eye geometry/materials.

I’m hoping to be able to transfer the weights tag from the old rig to the new one in hopes to save some time. Not a hundred percent sure, will that work?
if it doesn’t work, oh well I’ll put on some music and weight it again lol.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Posted: 01 February 2021 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi davidharris3d,

No problem with the double eyes for me. I was only uncertain about the use of it. Like turning a character into a werewolf by switching the eyes…

I have seen three “main” ways people use to connect the eye-objects to a rig.

• just make them a child under the eye-joint
• use a constraint set up (Xpresso or Constrain Tag)
• weight the whole object with only the eye-joint as a connection to the weight.

Perhaps check out the characters in the Content Browser. They are typically well done and checked a lot.

All the best

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 February 2021 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2020-04-26

Hi Dr. Sassi,

Connecting the eyes to the character rigs makes sense now, Thanks!

I’m now having a new eye problem lol. So I rebuilt my character rig and the Pupil/Iris/Spec materials look correct and scale fine in the viewport, but when I render in Redshift the eyes are black. The spec and Iris materials seem to be working fine, so my guess is that it might be the pupil material.

I’ve messed with the texture mode and UV projection type/scale, as you showed me in you screen capture a couple messages back, but still I get the same render result.

could you please take a look?

See attached, and a new file like below.

Screen Shot:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_8Vy8liD1bk0kt6u1pOQ1Qdd10i3gIZ8/view?usp=sharing

File:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tmAaQBQlDKWXPFZsEoEk5m41qUczHtel/view?usp=sharing

Posted: 02 February 2021 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi davidharris3d,

Thanks for the file!

Here is the eye back:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/dBQXMtMs0cUUe2Z8V26Y5w8YnNUAgg7pPzYz59jbMTn

When you use Redshift, I assume it is used for many reasons, but speed is certainly a key element. To have such an elaborate set up for just the iris seems counter-intuitive to have a scene set up for speed.
I rendered the texture out to have the best quality and control about the process and the results. Yes, there is a Redshift tool to do that, but if you know your rendering will be done in RS, why not do it from the start for RS.
I have replaced the Pupile-Material completely, which was extra material and covered the eye (The black result you wanted to get rid of). There is an easy way to get this with a sphere.

Now it is rendering fine and optimized

Here is a version with an alpha channel
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/1kXIJyAAKsa64goWcfd1IUdatLmbalMOxZ0GNRbSH3A

There are more options to optimize this, like setting up the Edge loop around the iris, so a small polygon selection could cover it. In this way, the image could be so much smaller. I have also seen a strip instead of the circle iris, but when a Spherical-Projection is used, the Iris is shaped.

I have only the eye in the scene, as I typically ask for only the parts that create the problem.

The best way for the RedShift3D question is as before the RedShift3D forum.
When you have a new question, please don’t add this into a thread that started with a different question. The forum will be less usable with such a mix.

Let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it.

All the best.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 02 February 2021 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2020-04-26

All noted,

I’m new to using Redshift, so it didn’t occur to me that I should probably optimize all the materials to RS materials. I was doing my best to not mess with anything in the character rig lol, I will build out my materials in Redshift now.

I’m also new to asking questions on these forums. I didn’t know there was a Redshift forum:)! I’ll be sure to ask in the correct forum, and package the files correctly next time.

Thanks for take the time to look it over again, I appreciate it!

Best,
David

Posted: 02 February 2021 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi David,

I have not seen anyone knowing everything, so to some level, we are all learning. I say that even using Cinema 4D for a quarter-century. So, please feel free to ask anything. I will try to reply with an example file, as I do not answer from memory only (things change…). If you ask, then you spotted something that you want to have cleared. This is always great.

Thanks for understanding. To keep this forum organized, I try to guide here, not critique or make anyone wrong. Think of any problem and then search for it: only to find a ten-page long thread about lots of other stuff. I typically write here to all artists who read along. So my text is not always completely directed to the one who asks. Another point to never take anything personally here. I really want that you feel cared for, and my contribution leads to motivation. In that way, I try to keep the things here elevated and organized.

I mentioned the RedShift3D forum, as you certainly find over there already a lot of answers. Here I try to answer, but it is kind of a weird feeling knowing that there is perhaps a place that already has an answer for that.

How to set up RedShift3D? I guess everyone has his/her own little recipe. I’m typically not a huge friend of any automatic stuff if I can’t control all parameters. How is the Layer/Gradient converted, what color profile is used, is the “rendering” not sharpened, etc.? The manual doesn’t tell me a lot about it. Yes, I’m one of those guys who cringe when some tell me sRGB is equal to REC709 or even OK to use in the main pipeline, instead of only for the delivery (if at all these days anymore). Things like that lead me to cook my own results, then using canned stuff. Others might be just fine with converting all automatically. I wouldn’t judge.

All the best

Signature 

NEW: