A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How can I change parameters in a node material based on the Mograph cloner index?
Posted: 01 February 2021 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-07-11

I’m really desperate since I’ve been trying to achieve the following for more than a day now:

I want to apply a different image on 14 objects of a cloner. They shall not be randomised, each image shall be used once. I want just to use one node material I created. I tried to create the file name and append the index number of the current clone.

A simplified version attached. I kind of works, but instead of 14 iterations I get 80339 and the image is cut into thousands pieces. There is randomness, each render brings a different pattern. And it’s also only certain images showing up in the rendered image (in the console I see all 14, in random order).

I’m probably trying the wrong way or overlooking something. Any help very much appreciated!

File Attachments
clones_with_image.zip  (File Size: 169KB - Downloads: 192)

Posted: 01 February 2021 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi choegl,

Thanks for the file

As far as I understand, the Image Node is a node that places an image’s content into a specific space into memory. It can’t hold more than one (it needs to keep it there, as it is perhaps not only needed for the surface itself (think of reflections elsewhere of it). When you change the camera, the texture will change even partially on a single clone.

You need to address that with the Multi-Shader feeding in each ‘layer’ an image.
Example for 8 images.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/Of06jbyLS516kkzKqxQC9PnlKPdSlUWE5Rqm7O03XZl

I’m currently not aware of how to recreate the Standard Multi-Shader with its load functions. Perhaps the Support has an idea.

All the best

…image, the 0 and 1 have swapped numberings in your example

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 February 2021 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-07-11

Dear Dr. Sassi,

you are a genius! I was hoping you would see my post and help out once more. There hardly seems to be a Cinema 4D related question you don’t have an answer to, does there?

Thanks a lot! Danke!

Christian

Posted: 01 February 2021 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the kind reply, davidharris3d.

It is not that I know it all. But I guess using Cinema 4D for 25 years has certainly filled my creative library.
What I don’t know, I try to figure out. I learn from every question.
I always assume that there must be a way, and then the search starts. Also, I never answer from memory. I test everything (if that is not possible, I mention it and call it brainstorming).

Since Node-based systems invite the creation of your own “solutions”, I assume that someone will come up with a MoGraph Multi-shader set-up. So far, I can’t find anyone who even has asked that question on the web).

The file I have shared here is not as flexible as I would like to have it. I wish many people would ask for that, as it is possible in standard shaders, so there should be a way with a node set up.

Thanks again for your patience and kind feedback.

Herzlichst

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]