A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Cloner UVW mode
Posted: 11 May 2013 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Hi guys,

have attached a scene where i’ve cloned a set of spheres over a poly surface.  And am using a multishader set to index ratio mode to colour them.  I see from the help that the index ratio uses the U coordinates of the cloner to distribute the colours. 

So in my first example if the cloner is using the plane2 to generate the clones, then the colours are distributed in U.  But if i use my plane1 object where theres a lot less points, you only get 2 colours (which i assume is because theres not enough clones in the U direction to cover all colours).

My question is

1.  Can i just get the index ratio to work over all clones in the cloner (like an iteration) rather than just using the U value.

2.  Can i adjust the U value of the cloner like you would with the texture axis tool on a normal flat projected shader (eg rotate it or scale it).

Still trying to understand the UVW coordinates of cloners.  Thanks very much

File Attachments
ClonerUV.zip  (File Size: 94KB - Downloads: 169)

Posted: 11 May 2013 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Rich,

Think of the UVW as the normalized spaced of XYZ. Normalized means here zero to one. So each clone has an precise definition in it.

If you use “Plane1” in your example you get the U information zero, 0.5 and one! I tricked yourself with two similar greens in the Multi-Shader. Give the “Texture6” a different color and you see what I have in mind.

If you like to have for each clone a different U definition/number, then set the Cloner to linear and create the number of clones that you need. Every clone will receive a different U number.

Then Place the object that contains the position information into a Matrix object. This Matrix Object needs to go then into an Inheritance Effector, set to AM>Effector> “Morph Motion Object”

This Effector goes then as first object into the Cloner Object.  In this way you get a unique U number for each clone (from the linear!), even on a plane or what ever the Matrix was set up.

This example shows how to get for each clone a UV (Q1) and (Q2) there might be a way in the Python Effector (MODATA_UVW). C.O.F.F.E.E. Effector?

To change the value of U most effectors have a U or V slider (Parameter> U transform, V Transform.

Sassi

In the file you have 6 colors in the Multi-shader, so each color goes to two clones before the next color is used.

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_MGuv_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 96KB - Downloads: 165)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 May 2013 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

hey thanks Dr Sassi,

so uvw is hardwired into the clones but you can adjust it with effectors?

Makes more sense now, and thanks for the hint with the inheritance effector.  Didn’t think of that.

Cheers for the help!

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome Rich,

I did only a short test with Pyhton last night, but without luck. I’m not as deep in Python as I would like to.
To adress single clones is (if at all) a coding part, above all other methods that allow for a certain access.
The Formula Effector allows to use UVW data, to create a single value from its formula to run the effector.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]