A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

hand picking up object
Posted: 11 May 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi folks, I am not sure as to how to approach my scene. I have a hand, that is picking up an object ( a capsule ) . Since I am not confident with rigging, for my purpose, I can use posemorph, to move index finger and thumb to pick up my object . I can keyframe the hand movement, and keyframe the posemorph, just not sure as to how to move my capsule and hand together out of the scene frame . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will look at tutorials of connectors and such, but not sure if that is then best way. Thank you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

At one point the object will be moved by the hand. This is the moment when the Constrain tag becomes active. You might use a position (one finger) and a target (Aim) to a second finger, to have more control. Last but not least there is as well an Up-vector option for even more control, even if not that needed, I activated it here to show some options, reduce the file as you need it! But the P and R from the PSR does already a goo job.
With three points you should get it stable to the hand and the movement of the fingers (or palm). You might check the Offset in the Constrain to on.
The Tag is only active after the “pick-up”. It is most helpful to have the origin of the object where the position(object) is, if Aim or Up is established as well!

Please note that the object might stay where it was left in the last frame, and will keep this position then later on when returned to frame zero. I suggest to have a Null (or a copy) with the same PSR and transfer this information as Global Matrix from the copy to the object on frame zero via XPresso. After frame one the XPresso is set to be in-active of course.

All the best

Sassi

The Rotation in the PSR part is as well checked on, perhaps that is not wanted nor effective in your scene. The Aim or Up in the scene below, will enable for you, that the object doesn’t look like glued to one element of the hand. You might have seen this in some animations, which looks rather distracting. However, the file contains perhaps more than needed, make your pick of course

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_ANli_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 46KB - Downloads: 186)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thank you. I’m afraid that your explanation is beyond me. This sounds like a great and clean solution, but I am far from well versed in Xpresso to achieve this. And a have not used the constraint tag much . Is it possible for you to create a “quick sketch” , perhaps a poly object moving in the scene, to “pickup another poly, and moving away with it?-this way, I can dissect and learn and hopefully apply it to my scene. I don’t mean to have you do the work for me, but at least I can learn from your sketch, if possible, like I have a dozen times before. Thanks, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Craig,

The example is attached. The XPResso is just a simple “take information from one object to the next, and do so only on frame zero. Check the Attribute>Basics>Enable checkbox for this frame zero function).

For a simple pick up, with the stiff connection the Constrain tag is very easy to use with the PSR option. It is similar to the XPResso in the scene, but much more comfortable with all the check boxes already provided. Kai created a while ago a great overview about the constrain tag. It is certainly one of the core-elements needed to know in character animation. Check it out, I guess once you got used to it, you might use it always.

Let me know if there is any question, and yes the file above is more than needed perhaps. But it is easier to uncheck options in the file than to introduce them.

All the best

Sassi

http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/introduction_to_basic_constraints

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: You asked for a simpler solution with no XPresso nor Constrain Tags.

As we deal here with CG, reality is sometimes in the way to see the way it could work.

How about two objects? One is already in the hand and connected all the time to the hand, but invisible until it becomes picked up.

The second object is from the start visible and in the moment the hand comes to pick it up, it becomes invisible.

You need only to have both objects objects at the same position when the visibility switched from one to the other object.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

you are the best! my apologizes for not noticing this from the last post I provided ; (-I have little to no experience w/character animation, maybe out of fear of failure?, too busy w/other aspects of life and learning a ton here? but now I have motivation-I can not thank you enough- I’ll study this, and if I have additional questions, will let you know-stay well, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Actually I do have a question-just viewing now, the purpose of the Xpresso, is to tell the cubes to be ” constrained to the capsule ?-also, does it matter which cube is put where in the constraint fields?

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

BTW, your solution sans Xpresso and constraint, is so simple and obvious, it is genius!Stephen Hawkings and Einstein wold be proud!!!!

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Craig,

The only failure in life is not to try in the first place. Time-contrains are always there, but we make plans and we diced what we do with it, it is only a decision of priorities. But—yes—it should be fun and without time restrictions. I’m under the impression that all great things in VFX and Motion Graphics exists based on people who play and explore.
Character Animation tools are so important to know to get all options for other areas as well, I have given up over an decade ago to take the “labels” to seriously. They are all tools and if it works for something I like to have, then the label shouldn’t be a border.

The XPresso has only one function, and is not connected to the cubes at all. It simply sets an initial state for the capsule. Delete the XPresso tag in the scene and press the play button. You will see instantly what happens. The capsule starts where it was left on the last frame.

Big names and I think what I have in common with them, that I’m happy to play, to explore and give no respect to old rules. Both are great minds, with diverging ideas about our space and time. I learned a lot form them.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

The attached file explains a little bit more what to expect from such an “construction”. The “Leading Finger” of the hand would be always the Position of the constrain, the second important part would be in this example certainly the Aim and then the UP-Vector. It is of course a simplified representation of the world, and has its limitations here. In the real-world we put pressure on an object and receive a resistance from it. In that way we interact with it. If no resistance, than it would be like holding a little bit of water between three fingers. Set up time, comfortable operation and calculation effort is mostly the mix and base for decisions how something like that is set up. Again, with just a PSR constrain, e.g., to a single joint/finger, this would be doable, but it would like an object that is glued to a finger. The file attached here is just a suggestion, there are certainly many more options.

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_ANli_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 109KB - Downloads: 198)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 May 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

you as well-I was afraid I offended you, but my intentions are always based on goodness, particularly to people who are well meaning like yourself-stay well, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 11 May 2013 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Craig, thanks again.

I have no idea where you could have offended me. As English is my second language, my standard procedure is always to assume (if in doubt)—I—got it wrong, none has any advantage to make me upset (well I have to admit, I do not understand these low-life “Cyber-bulling” at all, and some people love it, but really: who cares :o). I like to be productive. :o)

I will ask—if something comes in that way across. (I have read all my answers here, if I gave at all a sign of being hit by something, I don’t see it, sorry if I did.)

Please feel always free to ask here and respond in the way you like. WE all have the same target, to get our idea on the screen, and I’m happy to support that here.

Take care and thanks!

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: