A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

OBJ sequence capabilities?
Posted: 08 May 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi folks!-in reviewing Trapcode Form 2.0 in AE, one of it’s capabilities, is to import obj sequences, which is very cool, can we do that in C4D?, I am on R14, for Mac. Thank you in advance, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 May 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

The simplest way to import an OBJ (Wavefront) sequence is via “Riptide-Pro” (http://skinprops.com/riptide.php)

But this will not animate the sequence. For that you place them all under a Object Cloner, set the clone amount to one, and the Clones to “Sort”.

Then apply a Plain Effector to the Cloner Object and use the Parameter>Modify Clones>100%. Animate this value or, while on 100%, use a falloff to animate the sequence.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 May 2013 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thank you for the quick response. I have never used this. With the value animated to move my obj, would I export this whole scene, ie, obj model and mograph objects into After Effects?-if so, I presume that the obj would be moving inside AE, do I understand correctly?, thank you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 May 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

You’re welcome. What version of After Effects do you have? So far there is no public version that would be able to do. CC7 and not Cs6 would be needed.
Until CC7 comes out, Ae will work with Pixels and PSR (axis) data, as well light and camera data to my knowledge.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 May 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, I should have been more specific, I should know better-I am on CS6, so I would have to use 3D data-or just use particles in C4D and import a png sequence or Quicktime. Thanks for clarifying, Best, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Craig,

The process is the same, if not an object that can be used by default (Camera or Light) you need an “External Compositing tag” I guess you are familiar with this process.

With CineWare in AfterEffects CC7 you have a complete different workflow. It is discussed here maxon.net (landing-page)

If your preference is one of these formats, then this should work. I suggest normally to work with sequences, as any crash with a QuickTime based (mov) workflow require a complete re-render after a crash.
I use (except for preview renders) only OpenEXR 32bit/c, to keep all the data and not clip highlights.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, yes I am familiar w/“external composting tags”, never used them but I understand the process ( I think smile). I agree and have heard others echo the same thoughts concerning the virtues of sequence vs a movie. Pardon my ignorance, I do not understand ” open exr 32bit/c, are you referring to composting project files to be imported into AE?, thank you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Craig, the PNG file is and integer file. It is not able to store any value above 100%. Even older video cameras could deliver values (super whites) above 100%. In film that was slowly rolled out, in digital this cuts values above 100% and in the moment they are clipped, they are all the same—100%. Which makes those areas to a single spot, with no details anymore.

To get higher quality images I suggested since a decade to use floating point formats, and the industry standard is OpenEXR with half float 16bit/channel or 32bit/channel. ( Some people—confuse per channel with per pixel, mostly done in the printing area, where it is common to add all the bit depth)

Anyway, for a higher quality workflow, integer is on the way out, from my point of view. hence the linear workflow.

You need to work with what makes you happy, I feel the need to give this information.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Thanks Dr. Sassi, this is a real revelation to me !-I never even considered open EXR, mainly because I did not what it was. I have questions though: the default option is Lossy 16-bitfloat 4-by-4 pixel (B44), do you suggest this?, because none of these make any sense to me-if I use Open EXR, how does this affect the render time? if I choose, tiff of psd, how do they compare to your option in terms of quality and render time?, thank you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Any “Lossy” compression setting will limit your quality. You will lose data.Lossy compression is an option if the data is delivered to the final place of use. I would not suggest to use any Lossy compression inside of the pipeline. As long as you work on files, you need to have quality. If you open and close repeatedly a lossy format, you end up with a destroyed image. Like anything JPG with a lower quality.

Since C4D is calculating internally in 32bit/c float, any compression or integer format might has the ability to slow things down. An uncompressed 32bit/c format might have the bottle neck if the rendering is fast and the disk is slow. Especially if 32bit/c uncompressed tiff is used. For render intensive work, the save out part is in comparison much smaller. So it does not affect the render time, 32 bit/c render and saving as 32bit/c for the initial rendering is my suggestion. The half float 16/bit/c is not suggests for any data channel! In this way I got normally full 32bit/c. And: all the way linear scene workflow. In the moment you color correct this material in comparison to an 8bit/c result, ...you will never go back to integer, at least it is not an option for me at any time anymore (well, Sketch and Toons is my exception here, hehe)

Right-mouse-click on the format (render settings) to get to the Help Content. It gives you a lot of information about. (Reference CINEMA 4D CINEMA 4D Prime Render Menu Edit Render Settings>Save)

Signature 

NEW: