A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Baking merged motion clips to export to fbx for Unreal Engine
Posted: 06 September 2017 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2017-04-09

I guess this is quite specific for Unreal development but I’m stuck so any help would be useful. Basically I’m animating a character using a Mixamo rig in C4d and blending an action with the idle pose. I’m using motion clips from the individual Mixamo fbx files and then blending them. It looks really nice in C4d but I need to export to Unreal engine as a series of idle/action/idle looping sequences animations. I am combining the anims and saving a one clip and need to export to fbx.

If I do each one individually just with keyframes on the Mixamo fbx it imports nicely into unreal but as soon as I export a motion clip merged one it goes wrong and doesn’t move the root. For example, idle to left jab punch with a step forward and back again just shows in Unreal as moving on the spot rather than move. I am baking keyframes on motion clip before exporting but am very stuck on what to try next to get the loops working.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

thanks in advance.

Garry

EDIT: My first post here so expecting miracles clearly lol. You never know, looks a damn good site.

Posted: 06 September 2017 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Garry,

Typically the best way to solve a problem is, to have a scene file that illustrates the problem, as simple and reduced as possible. No 3rd party stuff, nothing that distracts from the problem.

If I don’t get such information, it is hard to tell anything, as the amount of “clicks” needed to get to the final solution is often large in numbers.IF one little check box is missing, things might not work. I consider “guessing” as a waste of time on both sides. A small scene file shows the problem, and from there, the answer is more often than not easy to give.

So, let’s do it this way, check out the file, it contains a simple blend. I exported it and reimported it to see if it is the same. Note that I changed the size of the original cube to see it more clearly.
Scene file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/WIAsLCrBJ6SsMsG85XqQn6WnbX3PBncTDOFcQjvTbiR
Screen shot
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/PJTvAIVlM43HkfFEzFsg4kxt2AXE3iaUKWvZeVzNRki
Export and reimport to see how it works for you. If that works, import the FBX into the target application. I would bake the keys, as the interpolation between keyframes is an application specific part. But please test. IF nothing is mentioned the current version is used here.

If I recall it correctly, we have a pipeline series to a game engine, and we have Motion clip tutorials, but not both in one series.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 September 2017 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-04-13

Hi Gary , not sure if you thought of this but select your step forward motionclip tag , in the attributes click ‘Open in TL’, select the clip in the timeline and check if Relative loop is checked.  If not , than that would be your trouble i guess . Maybe you should set the number of loops to 1 as well, im not sure how FBX translates.

Posted: 06 September 2017 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

It is about Export.

Without relative checked on, the animation wouldn’t work in C4D to begin with. But lets wait for the scene file, it takes the guess-work out and gives something to analysis and discuss.
If you use the file above, and export it again, without any further baking, Unity shows two different speeds for the cube, that is the core problem that I can confirm it with Unity. No Unreal engine here.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]