A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

R18.057 XPresso Bug
Posted: 13 July 2017 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

I just wanted to point out a bug with the most recent release of 18.057. I have attached a sample file. You’ll notice when opening the file in 18.057, clicking Bend Hammer in the object manager, then clicking the Object tab, that the Strength is set to 136.521 degrees. However, in an earlier version, it’s set to -125.404 degrees. This poses a problem as I had a detailed project set up and the values are now incorrect. I have tried going into my XPresso setup and changing the Output Upper on the Range Mapper to a positive value, but I am not getting the results I was before. I am no longer able to adjust my Spline curve that I had set up in the Range Mapper either. If you could please look into this as soon as possible, I would appreciate it as I am trying to make a deadline with this project.

Thanks,
Matt Rittman

File Attachments
range-mapper.zip  (File Size: 50KB - Downloads: 61)

Posted: 13 July 2017 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt Rittman,

This is certainly a frustrating time, so sorry to hear about your trouble.

I used a previous release of R18 and the 18.057 to test this. I can confirm that I get the same results. Weird, to say the least. I made a lot of tests to see if I can get closer to the problem, but no idea what happen, in terms of what could be done on interface level (vs code) to prevent this from happening.

However: Cineversity is not the place to submit bugs, this is a case for the support: (Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to look into it, but things need to go their own way.)
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/support/how-can-we-help/

Nevertheless, I will of course submit the file below to the team.

The only way I get useable results is, to keyframe in a none R18.057 version the Bend Deformer, where the “Hammer” object had its keyframes, and perhaps on other positions as the information. Then switch the XPresso of and use the saved version in R18.057. Perhaps, not the best idea to continue with 18.057, if you ask me.

If you have no back up from your previous working version, please let the support know.

Below is a file, that is based on your findings. I have stored the values of the working version in plane vertices. So if opened in any working version the green values (starting after frame 320 in your case) should be the same as the red values.

Scene file:
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/IrTaa6LorfQ3kP8lmn3qhfkfech4lU4jHBmRZOvEXxy?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

EDIT: It seems to happen when you have a different polarity (-/+) in the numbers than the Min/Max is set up, while a spline is present (an empty spline filed seems to behave neutral. Set the full range of input values as min/max and it should work. /edit

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 13 July 2017 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2017-02-07

Dr. Sassi,

I certainly appreciate your prompt response, as always!

I’m glad I’m not going crazy on this one haha. Very sorry for posting this here, but I knew it would be answered much quicker than from Maxon directly. I should note that I tested this in 18.048, and it’s working as it should. So something happened in the latest release that caused this. I will reach out to Maxon to see if I can roll back to the previous release of Cinema.

Thanks again!
Matt

Posted: 13 July 2017 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Matt,

You’re very welcome. Please never hesitate to ask here, I’m happy to look into it. Even just to check if I can recreate the problem.

Fingers crossed that the problem is found quickly.

Thanks for bringing this problem to MAXON’s attention, it certainly will help others!

My best wishes for your project

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]