A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Hair cache Question
Posted: 21 July 2015 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-06-17

I’m using hair to render xparticle tracers. I am wondering if I can somehow cache the hair since cacheing the particles makes the hair not see the tracers.
Is there a way to cache hair that has no dynamics?

Posted: 21 July 2015 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shadowgin,

Not to pretend that I’m savvy with X-Partcles, but where did you placed the Hair Material? As I have only a demo version (I wish I had the full version, so much more motivation to learn it then ;o), I hope I got the right set up, as I placed the Hair Material to the xpTrail. See images.

Note, if you copy&paste; from one scene to the next, a typical problem is given in the fact that “Hair” material needs the Render-Settings> Hair. This is not automatically enabled during c&p.

If you have a small (reduced to the problem) scene file, please zip it and attach it here.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 July 2015 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

I always feel like I hit the jackpot each time you reply to my posts. This scene isn’t small. I’m sorry but I don’t have a smaller scene to post.
It would take me a bit to build out a small one. Thanks for you thumbnails. Your setup works if using Cinema’s render engine.
Unfortunately I’m using octane and for octane to see hair it’s set up differently. I tried cacheing the xparticle but Cinema’s hair will stay on from the beginning.
I’m trying a couple other things at the moment but thank you for trying to answer my question. Your images gave me an idea that I’m trying.

Posted: 21 July 2015 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Shadowgin. Nice feedback! :o)

What I gathered from (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0XgGgzPuok) was that the Octane Engine needs to be below the Hair—in the Render Settings. No idea if that is of any help here.

=====

Besides that, if Octane doesn’t work this way, perhaps you place the xpTrail into a MoSpline>Spline. Material then to the MoSpline.
If that doesn’t work, perhaps—make the xpTrail editable and if you need to have it growing, set the MoSpline to Separate Segments and use the “End” to get the effect. (Perhaps changing eh direction of the xpTrail-Spline.
However, I have the impression that it might be more complex what you have set up…

The scene was cached, but too large to be attached here. But the set up worked before within C4D. Sorry, there are a “dozen+/-” renderers for C4D available and I do not have them.

My best wishes

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_15_REms_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 115KB - Downloads: 193)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 21 July 2015 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

No worries Sir, I am always happy for your help. I just learnt how to use octane on this job.
I plan to try your mospline idea. It maybe what I’m looking for. I am in r15 so I couldn’t open your file. I am looking at the thumbnails you provided so it may help. Plus I’m don’t know how to use mospline.
Since the files are being backed up I will have to try the mospline idea tomorrow. I am hoping it works.

Thank you again Dr. Sassi
I hope to be closer to your level in Cinema 4D.

Posted: 21 July 2015 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for checking it out, Shadowgin!

I guess it should be done quickly with MoSpline.
To make that a little bit more visual, I have recorded a one minute clip, so you get an idea about. On the end of the clip, I make it editable [-c-] and render a spline object.

I think to set it up in r15 might be a little bit useless, not having the set up as you have, so far I know, Octane is dependent more hardware configurations than C4D is, but as I said, with all the 3rd party renders it is hard to keep up. Let me know how it works, so someone with a similar challenge will have an advantage (and share something else—later on. ;o)

All the best

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/u7V3JxmaT0Z6ReWTIrUnqaIYUxprLSdjxiUUSvKXPXe?ref_=cd_share_link_copy

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 22 July 2015 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2008-06-17

Hi Dr. Sassi

I tried the MoSpline idea. Although I think it would work it created too many splines for my machine. I wasn’t able to work while the window was refreshing. Cinema eventually crashed.
looks like we will have to stay on one machine for the render.
Thanks for all your help, I’m sure I will be posting more questions in the future. I was having a lot of fun trying to solve this.

Posted: 22 July 2015 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Shadowgin. :o)

After I ignored the installation tips (the R15 plug in works on my R16, the R16 does not, weird), Octane was running here but gave me an error message “There is no CUDA device which is selected…”, even the newest cuda software is installed here, and I even the plug in found my graphic card (settings).

I really try to get close to your set up, as my philosophy is, a problem not solved—comes back. ;o)

I hope the one machine rendering will be bearable and the result will pay for the patience :o)

Good luck with the project

Signature 

NEW: