A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

sculpt-question
Posted: 21 January 2015 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, I am wondering, since using a sculpted object with a displ. map from a sculpt is easier to animate for obvious reasons, if lets say, I have two objects that move together like a lock and key , how does one gauge their potential tight connection, when in the editor viewport, I am only looking at the low-poly objects. Does my question make sense?, otherwise, I can provide a quick sketch, thanks you, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 21 January 2015 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Nice question and yes, sounds like a trial and error operation—as it is.

I have not tried it, but I would if I had your file, so you have to explore it: Will it work with the “displacement.map” is used in a “Displacer” deformer (I guess it should, but a single comparative rendering will tell.

Let me know if you can work with it, or send your file :o) I will try and check.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 January 2015 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thank you as always. I have not tried yet, just a hypothetical for now. I just thought that there may be a “trick” to do it. I like the displ. map better than the deformer, since it seems to have more detail. But I am sure I’ll be back; )-stay well

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 21 January 2015 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Craig.

I see that I was not clear enough in my previous post. Sorry about that. The Displacer is not meant to be used for the final rendering, just as a tool to “see” what will happen. It will only push the vertices/points of the object. It will not produce new “sub” polygons of course. Just a “preview” idea for now.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]