A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Biped Rigging for Games, Part 05: Weighting Setup
Posted: 30 December 2014 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-04-22

At the end of part 5, where the body mesh is selected and the weighting is zero’d out, my rig jumps out of position (see screen grab). Can you advise me about what I have done wrong here?

Posted: 05 January 2015 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-06-27

Hi David,

I would guess that your rig has been moved. Before you zero out the joint’s weighting, try selecting the the skin tag on your mesh and clicking the ‘Reset Bind Pose’ button (or the ‘Reset Pose’ button in the Character Object’s Animate tab, these are the same function.) This will reset the rigs position to it’s starting position. Now you should be able to zero the joints.

Remember that even after this fix, if you had setup keyframes your joints may pop out of place again. In that case, you can either find a place in the timeline where the joints are in their ‘reset’ position, or record a keyframe to the character hierarchy immediately after clicking ‘Reset Bind Pose’ again.

Let me know if this helps. If not, please upload your file (ZIP’d, or RAR’d.)

Andy