A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Selection Object for tags such as Pose Morph, or Align to Splineā€¦
Posted: 07 December 2014 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-08-28

I have been working on a course by Dr. Sassi that was created in R12 and in that version of Cinema you could create a selection object for tags such as Pose Morph tags or Align to Spline tags. Now it seems that function is gone in R16 (and maybe other versions as well since 12). Is there another way to create a selection of numerous tags other than in the OM search field, or is that little feature hiding somewhere I haven’t found yet?

Thanks

Posted: 07 December 2014 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Lonnie,

Sorry that you have to go through some R12 to R16 trouble. The GUI designer took little steps during the past releases to make the transition as painless as possible. But yes, if you make the jump from R12 to R16 you get the full load of changes.

My input was, that re-organizing the menus will not only request time from the artists, it will render a lot of confusion to all existing educational material prior to the changes, e.g., books, tutorials and endless user forum support. It is always complicated to change something or keep the organically grown mix from two decades. It was time.

I do not put the work here in question, as sometimes things need to be organized, but just to show you that I understand the effort you have to go through right now.

If you have trouble finding anything, and I guess for the transition-time you might have R12 access, create a scene with the tools you like to have in R12 and save it, open it in R16 and right mouse click on the parameter of the object in the Attribute-Manager to get to the Help Content. That will guide you.

Another way is given with the [Main Menu] Window>Customization>Customize Command window {Shift + F12] to check if it is available…

However, your question:

Go in R16 to [Main Menu] Selection>Selection Filter>Create Selection Object

Thanks for your patience.

Let me know if there is anything else, and thanks for your interest in my work.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 December 2014 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-08-28

Thank you for your quick reply. I guess I wasn’t very clear, but i knew “where” the Selection Object was found. The problem is that when I have some tags selected in OM, the Selection Object is grayed out and unavailable. It only seems to be available when I have objects or whatever selected in OM. I recently had a very involved project in R16 with many cloners and extrudes and such and had separate selection objects for all of them so I could change parameters across all objects, and it worked a charm, but when I tried to make a selection object from several Compositing tags, the Selection Object was unavailable (grayed out) in the menu. And just so you know, I haven’t gone from R12 to R16, but have purchased and used each release since 11.5, so i am not totally in the dark on UI changes. But the tut I am doing is in R12 so my reference keeps going back to R12.

Anyway, Sorry if I was too vague.

Posted: 08 December 2014 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Lonnie,

Yes, this is a limitation which I do not understand nor like either.

Workaround:

Select an object and create a “Selection Object”.
Then activate the “Selection Object” to get to the “List” in the Attribute Manager.
Select the initial “dummy object” [in the List] which was used to get the Selection Object and delete it.
Now drag whatever you need into this list, or:
Perhaps click on the [+] sign to open an extra window, to make it easier to select a lot of “stuff” and drag it at once—or use the “arrow in the white circle” to get into the list what you need.

My best wishes.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 December 2014 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-08-28

ahh, thanks! What a great idea!!

Not sure why I didn’t think of that!

Awesome!

Posted: 08 December 2014 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Lonnie. :o)

Have a great start into your week

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: