A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Inheritance effector problems
Posted: 08 December 2014 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-05-22

Hey all, having trouble with inheritance effectors again. I have a spline with some icons on it, that starts with a path of icons that float in that wrap into a circle, or flywheel. I can’t seem to have the icons fluidly build and the spline effector begins the next cycle, causing some of the icons to fly in. Tried adding falloffs put haven’t found the right combination to help train them.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

Jon Lewis

Posted: 08 December 2014 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon Lewis,

Do you have a project file that illuminates the problem.

“I have a spline with some icons on it, that starts with a path of icons that float in that wrap into a circle, or flywheel.” ... ?

Or a sketch what you like to do—which I have the feeling will be useful!

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 December 2014 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks, yes that would be helpful. Thought I included one. Let me try again.
Thanks
Jon

File Attachments
Icon_flywheel.zip  (File Size: 64KB - Downloads: 219)

Posted: 08 December 2014 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file, Jon.

I like to keep things simple, so my suggestion would be, why not using only one spline?
I have set up a spline that might follows the idea, if I “read” the file correctly.

I have named the steps 1,2 and 3, as you can see them in the Object Manager. (Step one and two can be deleted.)
The idea is to connect a Helix spline on the end of the initial bow. It needs some set up work, but all was done with Connect-delete to get one instead of two. Connect Segments (Spline Menu) and Reverse Sequence for one spline.

The connection point might require some care, but nothing complex.

The Helix should reflect the needed amount of “rotations” to keep things adjustable, just to set the number high, makes it harder.

As you can see, this needs only a Spline and a Cloner Object, plus your Clones. Done. Easy to animate and to adjust.

If that doesn’t fit your project, or you need something else, let me know.

All the best

Sassi

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/jkriZ8ka7VluB04TN1xKBIk_kp49uCUGCYc-87sOCn0

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 December 2014 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks much. I only have R15 installed currently, so wasn’t able to see the C4D file. Your solution is great, although I guess it is more of a vacuum where the flywheel sucks all the “data” icons to it.. And not sure how long the flywheel spins, and that may need to be a variable, so why it is two parts. One part for me is that I seem to have trouble setting up the a spine effector the best way to have a one group of object fly through, and either the length of the section ends up very small (with clamp on?) or they cycle and repeat.
Thanks much
Jon

Posted: 08 December 2014 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon,

I tested the file with R15 and it opens fine. What message do you got, or what happens. I can save a R15 for you, if nothing works on your end. No problem.

More of a Vacuum, which is new information, hence my idea to get a sketch about it.

If I understand you correctly, you rather have two Splines and create a lot of overhead, than to make a decision, is that right? OK, then my next idea is for the file cabinet: Take a Null and another one and animate it so it follows the “graph” you need. Then use the Tracer to get a spline. Just an idea, to make it simpler.

Lets have a look to your scene.

First I would change the hierarchy in the Object Manager. It feels like back and fore. Top to bottom, to say it a little bit simplified, should be established as flow. Anything else might work, but can cause trouble.

Second, the Cloner B doesn’t need the objects, you “harvest” only the position and rotation from it, not the clones. Typically a Matrix object does the work.

The main problem in this set up is given in the fact that the clones from the bow either end or loop (go back to start). In that way you need the clones to stop there and stay, while others have to move. Sounds a lot of work to fine tune. If the stop to exist, they can’t be inherited. Which means, the Spline needs to extended, but how—without moving things too much around—but there is perhaps the key to make it work.

==========

As you like to stay open with the end “rotation”, I have set up a file that is completely parametrically.

Perhaps you get anew idea with that. I checked it, and it opens in r15 (_11.c4d)

==========

The file ..._21.c4d is a much more simplified version of the _11, but the key is that the Loop of the Cloner Object stays active. While the clones “slide” down the “bow”, some might be already on “circle” mode. This is given by a fixed number, e.g, 1440º (4*360º), and can be increased in 360º steps. This extra “loops/circles” allow for a the time to have all down. I took your scene file, and there the clones are more like an finite flock. Note, the Height bias! In the moment all clones are in “circle” mode, the Helix height is set (animated) to zero! The Offset is linear (key interpolation)

===========

Leaves the vacuum effect as missing element. I would place a Plain Effector close to the Circle area. Then set up an Fall Off, linear, and get the Spline GUI set up in a way that you have that acceleration of sucking it into.

I believe you should find something in each or “between” the two (_11 _21).

My best wishes for the project.

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGec_11.c4d.zip  (File Size: 39KB - Downloads: 179)
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGec_21.c4d.zip  (File Size: 34KB - Downloads: 234)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 December 2014 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jon,

I have attached a file, well an archive with four files.

The idea is here to illustrate how it works. What you like to have is, that the clones jump at a certain point from one spline to the next. As I understood it, the second one should be looped. As you make no data available how long the loop should work, I leave it to you to test this.

File one shows the influence of “weight” given by the formula.
File two shows the problem to use the “u” value if the Clones were not originally placed inside and directly on the spline.
File three overcomes this by using one spline directly
File four is an example how that could work.

In short, the clones on the spline, if placed natively in the Cloner—as mentioned, describe a space in “u”. this space is like the UVW space: normalized, always 0-1.
For the spline that would be 0 start and 1 for the end.
Based on the position a u value between 0 and 1 will be available to the Formula.
The “?(u>0.45;1;0)” means: If u is greater than 0.45, then the value will be 1, otherwise it is 0.
As the Formula Effector is set as the only one to provide “weight” and all others are set to no-weight, the Formula Effector rules. The 0.45 is a random value and can be set to anything 0-1, accordingly to the position the clones have to “jump”

Note that the Initial Spline is way longer than your spline, to provide an equal time after the jump.

I hesitate to provide Formula Effector based solutions here, as the common reply expresses an uncomfortable feeling about it. Perhaps you like it.

As Splines can take complex paths shapes, any falloff given by default might work or not. To use another Spline as falloff [Falloff>Source>…] might help, but adds complexity to any change. I have attached a file that shows how it works “…MGsf_01.c4d”

All the best

Sassi

P.S.: you might try as well: ?((u)>f;u;0)
Go to the variables and adjust the F (frequency) slider.

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGsj_4files.zip  (File Size: 149KB - Downloads: 161)
CV2_R16_drs_14_MGsf_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 41KB - Downloads: 161)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 10 December 2014 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks, will look at shortly, we are back on it as had to explore other options with the client. I’m sure I will have questions.

Thxs much
Jon

Posted: 10 December 2014 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Jon.

Let me know what is needed, I’m happy to have a look into it.

Take care

Sassi

P.S.: You might check out plug-ins that allow to connect two splines, without merging them to one object.

Signature 

NEW: