A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

imitating a sweep nurb like draw on effect with textures?
Posted: 24 October 2014 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Ok, so we all know the effect of animating a sweep NURB to get the ‘Draw On’ sort of effect.  What has been requested of me here is that I produce some geometry (in this case a simple 5-point star) and map the UV’s in such a way that a gradient texture can be applied to it in Viz, and via animating the position of that texture be able to achieve that same look?

My thought is that it wouldn’t be possible, but I thought I would put it to greater minds than mine.

Thanks in advance
- Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 24 October 2014 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

Not certain if I follow correctly, but the gradient—Edit: ... and I was wrong, Vis was meant to mean VizRT and how to get the UV information from C4D to VizRT /edit.

Let me know, with at least an image (sketch)—better a scene file—what you need, if the idea above is not cutting it.

Besides that - Sweep [NURBS] caps have since R16 UV information.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 October 2014 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2006-07-27

Well, it’s hard to show with a scene file as the element is being used in a Viz RT scene… but this question is more to do with UV maps - which Viz recognizes, and finding a way to generate one that would allow for this effect.

Basically all that is happening in Viz is a texture is being animated from left to right to reveal the shape.  If the shape were a straight line, it would work just fine, but with a star you would see the Far Right point and then both arms that extend from that point would be revealed, then before they complete the lower L point would come into view, when what I need to happen is more akin to animating a sweep NURB…

Or to use After Effects terms, I want the effect of a trim paths, but an getting the effect of an animated track matte.

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2014 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2006-07-27

Ok, I found a solution.  By using the UV edit tools in Cinema to make the UV map into a straight line with even spacing between the segments, I was able to get the desired effect in Viz.

Cheers!
- Will

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2014 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2006-07-27

Ok - so an addendum here… Making the UV map of the star into a straight shape does, in fact work.. BUT, I am really struggling with some very imprecise tools in the UV editor, such that maintaining the original thickness of the lines and getting everything perfectly straight is proving difficult.  I’ve not used these tools much, is there maybe something I am overlooking?  Something along the lines of the structure manager for UV points perhaps?

I’m not sure why you locked the thread, that doesn’t seem necessary, and I’m sorry if my question wasn’t phrased with sufficient clarity.  At the end of the day though, I could have left Viz out of it as this was a question related entirely to texture projection and manipulation of UV maps within Cinema 4D. The problem started and was solved there. 

There is a Viz forum, and I do post to it, but it is very inactive most of the time.

As always your help is appreciated, but completely voluntary.  If you do not wish to tackle a question I have posted, that is your prerogative.

Thanks again
- Will

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2014 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Will, I might have to leave those requests alone in the future.

For anything C4D, with a scene file or at least a sketch: anytime and with pleasure! :o)

VizRT is not on my list of skills.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]