A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

MoGraph, Cloner Object, Volume, Part 2
Posted: 05 September 2014 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

Either there’s something fundamental I’m doing wrong, or there’s a substantial differences in the behaviour of MoGraph between R10.5 to R16.

In the video, using R10.5, setting a hexahedron as the source for an object cloner, the cloned arrows point away from the surface, fanning out like a porcupine when the Mode, now called Distribution, is set to Vertex and the Up Vector set to none.

When I try the same thing, the arrows point along the surface of the hexahedron.  I seem to have the same settings between the two, but… I don’t get it.  Help?

Jerome

File Attachments
moGraph 02 (Cloner Object, Volume, Part 2).c4d.zip  (File Size: 100KB - Downloads: 255)

Posted: 05 September 2014 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Aha!  I think I found it.  In the video, when the arrow is made a child of the cloner, the cloner automatically aligns the Y axis of the arrow to the world Z axis.  On my system, it does not.

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

I can’t find currently the original file, I might take me little bit longer, but I guess, I prepared the arrow already as pointing in Z. See attached file.

I checked it in r15 and r16

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r16_drs_14_MGp2_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 42KB - Downloads: 257)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Hi Sassi,

I guess it’s not that big a deal.  More of an observation.  I was just confused, trying to understand why I was getting a different behaviour and sometimes assume it’s just an issue with the differences between R10.5 and R16.

All the best,

Jerome

PS
I can see from the file you sent that you rotated the arrow on it X axis.  Yes, that’s what I ended up doing.

Posted: 06 September 2014 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Jerome,

Not the X axis, I used at that time these arrows to show the Z-Axis, as you will find this more often than not, to be the set up in MoGraph.

Please click on the arrow in the Object Manager, and check the axis, it should be the blue Z axis that points up.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Yes, rotated on the x axis (pitch) to make the z axis point up.  8^D

Sorry for the confusion.  ;^)

Jerome

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I try only to be precise, so we have no confusion here, the rotation of some axis can accumulate to similar results, for a static situation, but might cause trouble later on (Euler Angle).

The only important part was here, that the arrow’s axis system has the Z axis in the direction of the arrow itself.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 September 2014 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Amazing.  Often, even when things are written clearly, I don’t fully get it until I see it.  Watching Modeling with Mograph, Shader-Texture-BP, I finally understood what you meant by changing the pyramid onto the Z axis.  In the video, I see you do it.  That’s when it clicked.  More proof that seeing it done is more powerful to reading about it.

Jerome

Posted: 11 September 2014 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

Yes, the power of video tutorials. I’m so used to it, that I felt that my “reading/visualizations” have had turned into some laziness. I feel a little bit guilty to be part of that, thehehe. Seriously, the main problem is often just missing definitions of terms based on the application. In other words, the terms used have been understood elsewhere already, but with a different context. In that moment, so my theory a little bit of “I know that…” tunes in, and the attention goes down. If you see it in a picture, that definition is not urgently needed. Which leads to some strange deformations, if the information provided spreads to thin, if “one” is going too fast uphill with the content. A reason why I like to avoid “cool stuff” tutorials with otherwise complex setups, but little background.

OK, I have to stop here, I’m to passionate with that theme.

Have a nice day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: