A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

MoGraph, Cloner Object - Alternate Texture X or Y
Posted: 05 September 2014 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2014-06-09

Hello,

I’ve tried on both R15 and R16, just in case it was an R16 bug, but I can’t get the texture to render on either version, all I get are blank polygons.  In the viewport, the images display, though I seem to need to toggle Fix Texture between Off, Straight, Alternate X and Y to get the images to redraw properly as they seem to flip randomly when I use the Plain Effector.

Weird thing is, only by having the Fix Texture set to Off am I able to render one side (the throwing basketball shot).

I’ve also gone through the texture settings and tried different things, but no luck.

Here is a link to the project on my dropbox.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerome

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

I waited a little bit, but the link is not working for me. Please check, thanks.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Here’s the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onrb5iq7jrxbdvn/moGraph03(ClonerObjectAlternateTextureXorY).zip?dl=0

Let me know if it works or not.

Thank you.

Jerome

PS
You’ll have to copy & paste.  Something about the Cineversity code screws up URLs.

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jerome,

I avoid any special “cases” in my file names, based on trouble I had while working for a couple of years in Package design, and had to send files around the world. Just use letters, and while we are at the theme of naming, would you mind to place your initials to the files, thanks. I even avoid empty spaces in my files. Somewhere is always a server who can’t deal with it. For safe productions, I keep it that way. Thanks. It helps me, as I often “repair these names first. Old habit, based on trouble in the past. You will not find such naming in studios here in L.A. (AFAIK ;o)

To your file, I have set it up from scratch, following the X+ direction in your file, in the tutorial I had it on X-, but it should matter that much, if at all—for the problem here.
The manual now states that setting up the projection to Cube, and Front/Back is the way to go. Well, by doing so, everything works here already. Well NOT really. If you go with the Plain Effector as far as one element is only 90º rotated, you can see how the projection is stretched. I checked in r15 and in r16 and I get stable results that way. (See image)
The Stick Texture Tag doesn’t prevent the Stretched texture effect while it “flips”, which I think is an artist call—if one can accept this or not. I don’t like it at all. Not an option for me, except the flip is fast and un-noticeable.

In short, I think something is wrong with the “Alternate Y” option. To prove that point, I have rotated one image around 180º and used the “Alternate X” option, and all of the sudden it works. I would appreciate if you get in contact with the support and share your file, thank you. (See preview movie or the file itself.

Have a great weekend

Sassi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8s41zumfv9jr9y/CV2_r16_drs_14_MGxy_01.zip?dl=0

File Attachments
preview.mov.zip  (File Size: 259KB - Downloads: 255)
 Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 September 2014 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Sassi,

I’ll be more careful with my file naming, was just using my personal system as this is, for me, homework. 8^)

I’ve sent the report to Maxon support and included a link to this thread.  To be honest, your solution is over my head.  I don’t have enough of the basics down to be able to comprehend what’s going on, so I’ll just put this one in the drawer and come back to it once I’ve learned more C4D.  In the meantime, I hope Maxon fixes the issue to that the results become more predictable in the next update.

All the best,

Jerome

Posted: 06 September 2014 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for your efforts, Jerome.

It was certainly quite some work to get this option done. I’m certain the support will get this cleared and enable the work on a solution. Again, thanks a lot.

How I understand it, and I hope I can support your understanding with the following. The Cloner Object recreates the child objects and produces clones.These clones have all attributes of the child object plus the influences from, e.g., the Effectors. In this example the UV space will be multiplied as well, but we need each an every clone as individual item here. The Projection as Flat or Cube would normally allow for a slide (see image above) when the clones rotate. So it needs to stick. But when we attach the front and back, with the expectations that both show to the camera an image as it was attached to the material, we need first transfer that projection to the Clone UV space, then fix it, for one image. The other image needs special care, as we need to flip (or flop) the image per clone, to have after a 180º rotation the image as it was as a whole in the material. Alternate Y (or x) is here like using a “-1” for the U (or V) direction in the Tile area of the Texture Tag. (”-1” just mirrors the image). To stay there, like with the “Stick Texture Tag” it needs some clever coding inside the application. So far it worked and with Alternate X and the rotated (180º) image it works again, but as a work-a-round. :o)

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 06 September 2014 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2014-06-09

Sassi,

Thank you for the explanation.  That helps a lot and confirms how I expected it to work.  I just couldn’t understand what I was doing wrong.  But now it looks like I wasn’t, which is a relief.

Let’s see what Maxon support has to say about it.

All the best,

Jerome

Posted: 06 September 2014 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

To learn and run into something like that is not nice, Jerome.

My intention here is to smooth out that experience with the explanation and the workaround. I believe deeply that otherwise this would leave a little shadow on the whole area. If such things become collected without being cleared, the fun of working in the application might be in danger. We as artists need to have our attention on the content, not on the tools, to get what we are after. Hence my motivation to support a good experience.

But, yes, things like this have and will happen. It is not limited to this application, as you might agree with me. This week was for me bug hunting in other software, only to notice that the Blu-ray player (as result checking tool) was on its capacity limit and needs to be replaced. So, I have an echo of that feeling freshly in my “veins”.

I hope the function is soon working as it should, like the “Alternate X” works with a single mouse click, nice and smooth.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: