A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Interactive Render Region
Posted: 29 March 2014 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-28

I’m wondering if the IRR could have an On-Off button rather than being on all the time. When I have a complex scene and I’m trying to isolate a certain area using the IRR it can take 20-30 seconds to move each point on the bounding box. I would love to be able to draw the box freely, as you do with Render Region, then have a button to click “On” when you’re ready to start the IRR render. If there’s another way to accomplish my goal, I would be glad to hear. Thank you.

Posted: 29 March 2014 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Big Al,

The fastest way, at least what I’m used to use, is the “Alt + R” or “Option + R” short cut to toggle the IRR. (the + sign is not to press ;o) Just to be clear)

If the short cut is used, the IRR will appear or disappear…

If you like to work with an interface icon, just get it from the Main Menu>>Windows>Customization>Customize Commands (or Shift + F12) See image.
You can drag the IRR icon into your interface and save that state then. Do it in a fresh window/scene, so you don’t save other items.
Main Menu>>Customization>Save as Start Layout. You can call it up later on from your interface selection.

The Icon will toggle the IRR in the scene.

BTW, you might know that, but just in case, the little triangle on the right side of the IRR can be adjusted to change the quality of the rendering, and with that the “refresh” time.

In all cases, make certain that the window you like to have it is active, but that is certainly something you know. As this is a forum, I like to mention it in general.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 29 March 2014 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-08-28

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try your suggestion for working with the interface icon to see if that helps, but it sounds like toggling on and off will not help my problem directly. My frustration is with positioning and sizing the box. Each move of the points on the box starts the rendering and triggers a 20-30 second delay in response. Pryor to posting my original question I did try what you suggested by dragging the little triangle all the way down to the lowest quality, but it didn’t make a difference, like I thought it would.

Posted: 29 March 2014 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, I got your initial idea how you would like to have it working, Big Al. :o) But I don’t know an option to do so.

The IRR was designed, AFAIK, that it stays open and update automatically. So it is a constant information/feedback source. To stop it and start it, as well as change the frame, sounds more like a duty of the Render Region. But feel free to suggest this to MAXON directly http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html

Perhaps you “Right-Mouse-Click” on the triangle of the IRR and open the interface of it (see screen-shot) and integrate this window permanently into your GUI. Save the layout, etc, as mentioned above. But yes, no change of size, even then. I get your idea, but in the moment you would click OK, 20-30 would be needed anyway—following your text above.

The duration of the “refresh-work” needs to be explored. To say anything just in general would not help you here, as each scene is different. Do the following to gain more data: Render the scene the “Picture Viewer” and check the information line on the bottom. How much time is used for the “Preparing ...” is the key here, as this time is needed independently from any pixel rendering. IF this time is long compared to the rendering itself, then the IRR can’t be improved, something else needs to change to get a faster redraw of the IRR. Needless to say that a faster computer would be the key here ;o) but read my 2c about. Having that idea out of the way, you need to think about the bottle neck of your scene.
What is really slowing it down. Is everything needed in the scene all the time, while working. If not, Layer Browser can sort things out. If there is anything that can be cached, do it. If there are tons of generated segments, use the Editor Window>Options>Level of detail. (Perhaps as well the Options in the Render-Settings or as Tag to a specific Object: Level of Detail.

Besides that, is reflections (especially blurry) needed at that stage, or are textures needed. I see often scenes in progress with parts in it that should be worked on later, but which give the illusion of progress—only to slow down the work itself.

My personal two cents:
I work in with computer since the early ‘80s, and with 3D itself since the early ‘90s. My style of work certainly reflects even today a very economical thinking of recourses. Even on an eight core machine, I work with proxies, as model, textures or background video clips. There is always a way to cut things down during the work. Star-Wars movies from the ‘90s were done on 80Mhz CPUs and 256MB Ram with small hard-drives. Today we have at least 100 or 1,000 times the render-power, and it is even then not enough for some projects? I certainly encourage everyone to analysis the work-habbits, as the next larger project might not work without economical use of the recourses. Yes I know there are always reasons, but the one who works fast and economically wins—from my point of view. /

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 29 March 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-08-28

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of how to think efficiently about my project. I think that will solve many problems and prevent others in the future.

Posted: 29 March 2014 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for your feedback, Big Al.

My best wishes for your project!

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: