A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Rigging two objects
Posted: 28 February 2014 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

I have done very little character animation so this may be a very rudimentary question.
I am trying to make two objects move together in unison. I am assuming I would use the joint tool and IK but I have not been able to make it work.

I attached a demo of the movement in the C4D file. I have a project in the near future that will require animation like this on many characters. I am wondering if rigging each character is even worth the time or if I should just manually key the objects as I did in the demo.

Any assistance or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

File Attachments
DemoArm.zip  (File Size: 842KB - Downloads: 118)

Posted: 01 March 2014 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Devoted,

If you like to have the IK working with your set up, follow these steps.

Set up the parts like a “jumping jack”, and all of the parts in a hierarchy. Where the “Top Null” is parent to the Shoulder. The shoulder is parent to the arm. ...and the arm is the parent to the (new) Null Object [end—in the example, can be named freely of course)

The origin point of each object is the rotational point of the object itself. Your parts were nicely prepared.

Once you have the hierarchy created (as the objects with the “green layer tag”), select the Shoulder and call up a Object Manager>Tags>Character Tags>IK. Check if it set to 2D, Attribute Manager>Tag>IK Solver: 2D

Now drag the “end” object to the field Attribute Manager>Tag>END: end

Click on the button with the Attribute Manager>Tag>Add Goal as well for the Attribute Manager>Tag>Add Pole.

Done.

I like to drag the Pole object a little bit out of the scene. But it needs to stay on the “virtual-plane” that your flat objects describe. It works roughly said like a target point for the IK solution, so it stays in “shape”. Move it in 3D and see what happens, things get weird ;o)

The Goal Null is now your object to manipulate the scene [orange layer tag in this scene]. To introduce the function clearly, I have added a Object Manager>Tags>CINEMA 4D Tags>Vibrate tag to it. Which is of course not needed normally.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r15_drs_14_CHas_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 82KB - Downloads: 109)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 01 March 2014 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-12-01

Hello Sassi,
Real nice! Your demo works exactly how I have been trying to make the movement work. This really helps! As always thank you very much for your time and effort.
All the best to you
Devoted

Posted: 01 March 2014 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Devoted. :o)

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]