A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Team Render - finding out which node is doing which frame(s)
Posted: 02 January 2014 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Hi all - wondering about Team Render and a couple of things on how it manages work and how I can monitor the work it’s doing.

1. I have a couple of machines at home and TR when I can just to add more computing power to a job when it’s ready for such an undertaking.  When I’m doing a single frame, it’s very apparent which node is doing the work based on color - I can see the color of the buckets in the preview window.  For animations, however, it’s more difficult unless I’m missing something.  I can tell with TR clients what work it’s doing, but for the master node that started the work, is there a way for me to tell which node is working on which frame at a given time?

2. How does TR split up animation frames between multiple nodes?  This gets really interesting when one system is much faster than others and finishes its assigned work faster than the other nodes.  I’ve been watching and it appears that it splits the frames evenly, but if one node finishes its frames before the other (assuming two nodes in this case), what happens at that point?  I can tell that it reassigns the frames - for two nodes it appears to split the remaining unrendered frames in half again and distributes between the two, but what about the time between the first node finishing its last frame and the other node finishing the frame it’s working on before it can redistribute (if frames are taking 30-60 minutes that represents a decent loss of time)?

Those questions aside, I have to say I love the new TR capabilities.  It’s going to force me to buy more computing power in the next 12 months. smile

Posted: 07 January 2014 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ryan Mitchell,

Perhaps you check back with the Support team.
http://www.maxon.net/support.html
Maybe there is an option somewhere to gain that information (e.g., “consoleā€¦”, python etc, I couldn’t find anything in the manual).

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 10 January 2014 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Done, thanks.  I’ll post the results here.

Posted: 10 January 2014 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you, Ryan.

I wish there would be a “Technical Director Manual” available, just for the in depth “stuff”.
However, the suggestion form is 24/7 available ;o)

Have a great weekend

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

‹‹ Q&A_miscellaneous      MOTEXT selected color ››