A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Team Render saving assets after a job
Posted: 07 January 2014 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2013-08-06

Hi everyone,
is there any way to force team render to keep last job assets ? is kind of silly to remove assets after rendering, generally you will hit render at least twice, because you miss something or just because you are doing different renders from same project. so maybe if team render keep at least the assets from the last project it will same a lot of time to everyone

Posted: 07 January 2014 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi MP,

I would recommend to contact the support with that question.  http://www.maxon.net/support.html

There is no information in the manual, and so I guess there might a good chance to have that as suggestion on file.

If I get this problem correctly, it would require a manual management of the content. In other words, options to mark content for a specific job or declare job folders. This is a longer discussion to keep the handling of such simple and organized.

In the help manual I found only this hint:

Repository Path
A temporary directory will be created during rendering that is used by render clients (in which Project and texture files, etc. will be saved). The path can be defined here but normally this won’t have to be changed. However, if you have a particularly fast medium (e.g., a SSD hard drive) you would prefer to use you can enter its path here.
Make sure that each render client should use a single, unique directory. Otherwise too many temp files will be generated, which in turn unnecessarily take up memory.
Tip:
Contrary to NET Render’s job directory, these directories CANNOT be used to manually store Project files/textures. They would simply be ignored and deleted when CINEMA 4D is quit.

Perhaps already an explanation.

However, good luck with the support.

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 January 2014 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

Thanks Sassi,
I guess is the way Team Render was written. I couldn’t find a way to re use the temporary files. I usually hit render lot of times on each project. or even find my self using same textures on different project in one day.
quite sure if they add a switch button in Team Render preference panel to avoid removing assets after rendering it will save hours per week to me.

hope we got this on R16

Posted: 07 January 2014 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

I certainly agree with you, that pretty much each project needs re-rendering, for many reasons (e.g., ...client changes his mind). To wait each time for the distribution (again—as your initial post describes it) is certainly doable, but not nice. Especially not nice with a tough deadline close to you.

I have of course no idea what the developers will do in any future release ;o) as you mentioned “hope we got this on R16”. Nor do I have the option to talk about anything that is not released.

What I can do, is to ask you how this would work and kept simple. Simple is here the target as everyone has different things to do in a demanding project, than to clean up temp files. Which might cause problems after a while, if not cleaned up. Double versions of the temp content, or shared versions which vanish if the clean up is not done carefully. As most of us have no rendering - assistance/engineer, such as big studios have, we need to keep it simple.

My idea would be to name a job ticket with each rendering. Those job tickets are like reports and if the job is done they can be used to identify the material distributed and delete it. With such tickets the Render-Job-ticket manager (“Ticket-Man” ;o) can check if there are shared objects with other job-tickets and exclude those from the cleaning-job. The job ticket could also contain which frame was rendered when and where, to reflect Ryan’s request). Sound like a reverse texture manager function…
Would that work for you?

Perhaps you might suggest that to MAXON.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 January 2014 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2013-08-06

well as you said keeping it simple is the key.
my studio is just me working on everything. modeling, texture, video edit, color grade, and audio post. So I don’t have time for remember to clean cache.

I would love a simple solution, like having in team render preference an option for “Keep last render textures”
just keeping last render temporary files until they are not use in next render. that’s it. 

So when you hit Team render again a compare file script runs, if the project is using a texture that has the same file name and checksum size then last render texture will be reuse and the ones that are not in use will be delete.

simple but could save a lot of time.

Posted: 07 January 2014 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, MP.

Please suggest this to MAXON, and if others do as well, it increases the priority.

As each computer has an unique ID, I think that should be possible. Team-Render means (at least to me) the idea of a group of artists sharing their computer, so it is a peer to peer idea. Yes, I think many people have a “workstations”/“slave” set up as you, and in that way, only one computer requesting rendering jobs. There the one click solution might help. As many different approaches are possible, the solutions need to be tested in a similar way, to make it save.

We will see what the whole team comes up with.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: