A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

CAD Designings and questions
Posted: 11 December 2013 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2013-02-13

What is helpful is simple layouts for a yard (property), that gets me started. example: a yard, with a bench, a building with a room or 2 with a bed, cabinet on the side, a chair there, etc.  Then I renovate it with my own design. There are presets of objects, but it’s just a matter of what goes where. Lots of the objects especially furniture are named in German or something.

At Safeway, 1st Tuesdays of the month they have CAD Days, and they like my CAD Designs, computer assisted drafted buildings and layouts. Well, designing buildings is fun, using Cinema 4D.

-If I were to apply for a job somewhere, would Cineversity be used as an educational institution on a resume? (like colleges and universities)

-How do I get a certificate or diploma from Cineversity?

Posted: 12 December 2013 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Jamestown,

I had to think about that for a while. Not simple to answer. I try to be clear and perhaps I do not sound motivational on first sight, but there is something that I think needs to be addressed. Offer your key skills, anything else will follow.

If you found already the key component, as you mentioned, they like your design, then focus on design, and get strong there. If you have that vision to design, anything else will certain follow. Go for what is the strongest first. My best wishes.

I’m not certain what you like to have—what you called CAD that you then renovate. If you need models, and don’t like to do it on your own, there are libraries in C4D and on the web.

If you like to build up a portfolio, use things that can be clearly separated from the work you did. Example: You take footage or a photo and place an object inside of it. Two clearly separable disciplines, and your future employee can see what is your part in it. I strongly advice against a blurry mix in this for a portfolio. The exception would be - if you worked from the start in a team, and things got mixed up over the project duration. Which is not un-typically. But then you have to separate what you did and why. I’m not certain if that is really a successful way of getting work, if you start right now to build a portfolio. Make it pure (your work), no mix.

A common mistake is to just get the stuff together, with a lot of help from others. It might help to learn some tricks or get something aesthetically appealing established. I see tons of such tutorials all over the place. But that is not what keeps you in a job. The main problem (if there is a problem) that I have seen is, while teaching people online over roughly ten years by now, more often than not a very thin understanding of the basics—but on the other hand a nice box filled with “cool” tricks. Nearly useless on the long run for a serious production. Not a healthy mixture either. Again, I talk about starters here. Basics seems to be ignorable, but problems boil mostly down to things which are described in the manual (And so solvable, if read in the first place).

Some people get away with it, but if the job is kept only based on some key-tricks, you are always in the competition with people who might know maybe one more trick than you. To stay healthy in a job, knowing most of the basics is key, and to adapt fast to problems, but most importantly is to combine all the basics in a creative way. That is not teachable, nor certifiable. This skill can be only achieved if the basics are very clearly understood, and applied as easily as breathing. That is what employers like to see, that you can play in a good way with the tools given to you, not just present some cool tricks.

Cineversity is a self pacing—buffet like offer, not based on a curriculum nor test based. If “you” just join and do nothing -or- watch every day and repeat the content in a project until you know the basics—is completely up to you. There is no option to control if the tutorial that runs on someones screen is watched actually at all, and certainly no proof if the content is understood.

Certification is NOT an equivalent to a complete education, and shouldn’t be confused with such. I can give you only a link:

MAXON offers you certification, you have to get in contact with them. How much studios, employees or such make their decision based on such “test”, I have no idea.

http://www.maxon.net/education/certification.html

My personal take: Keep in mind that most 3D is based on creativity (will say how well you solve given problems, or how easily you recognize problems in the first place). I haven’t seen in any of my hundred tests, that I took and successfully passed for my six degrees, any test that were able to certify creativity. Especially my Professors at the “University of Art, Berlin” have put that in question (Certification of Creativity). Long story…
So, make certain that this certification paper will really help you, as it cost you time and money. It needs to be renewed for each release as well.
The bright side of certification is certainly that you can explore with such activities, how well you know the basics of the app in question, and perhaps fill some (but certainly not all) gaps.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 December 2013 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2013-02-13

Thanks for the feedback.  This makes sense now.
And is there some good cinema 4d library links?
thanks.

Posted: 12 December 2013 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks you for the feedback, Jamestown.

There are some major libraries of models, but to my knowledge they are from many different artists and with that the quality might vary. On the other hand, some vendors offer collections and they have mostly a very nice quality management—which shows up of course in the price for these packages.

I hesitate to name only a few here, as this would be not fair against others—and a complete list is not available to me.

Just google models objects buildings c4d, and sometimes you find a forum connected. If not, google the vendors name with the term “problem” to get some tinted information. As usual opinions on the web are more expressed in a contrast way, so if some stuff needs to be tested carefully.

Perhaps you check out some architecture books with standard floor plans and build from there. If you do it all on your own, you have no problems with publishing, e.g., copyright stuff etc.

Good luck

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]