A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

proxies w/Mograph possible?
Posted: 12 December 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi folks, I don’t know if this is possible, but can I use a low poly model/proxy in Mograph, used with simulation tags?. I thought I once saw something in regard to this. I modeled cherry w/stem, 980 polys, which would be out of focus . I tried w/my model, using a 3 X 3 grid in cloner, random cloner, and C4D froze. I was hoping to “drop” these cherries on to a plane. Any advice, would be wonderful. Thank you in advance, Craig

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 12 December 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

You might use the low poly object in your scene and then cache the MoGraph set up. Then replace the “proxy”.

You mentioned out of focus, which might indicate that you like to have the objects in focus as hi-res and the blurry ones low res? This could be done with a Plain Effector, attached to the camera and with a fall-off enabled.
The Plain Effector is set to Modify Clones. I assume you get the idea already.

However, 3x3x3 means 27 times 980 polygons in your example, which seems not a lot. Please contact the Support, I’m not sure what could have been caused it. This needs to be cleared.

I’m not certain if X-Ref might be of help here, as I do not know your set up.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 12 December 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Thanks Dr. Sassi, I will try this-I have never used Plain Effector attached to camera, but will look into this, have a nice day, CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 12 December 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re welcome, Craig.

I have a tendency to develop for each project things newly, so I do not have a one method only. I guess there are many more options, and based on the character of each project the one or the other will work in a better way.
E.g., I have to test if there is no performance dip if one would use the Polygon Reduction (“Deformer”) in such a way and for the final solution delete it. Things like that, but I like to keep it simple—normally.

However, here is a scene file https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=xUyK6A-RT6IgKGWYBv1u5A

Happy Holiday season.

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 12 December 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

you’re then best!-will check this out now, sending my scene to tech support-I have used poly reduction, but don’t always like it- will be in touch ; )-CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 12 December 2013 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes, Craig—the Polygon Reduction is a case by case option only for me as well.

Thanks for sending the scene in, crashes (at least here) are pretty rare, and not as often as in my main image app ;o). However, any crash report that is received by the developers, will give them a chance to make it even better in the future. Thank you!

Have a good one

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: