A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

not acheiving DOF in physical render
Posted: 04 December 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  298
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi guys, I am frustrated with the physical render in this particular scene. I have attached some screen captures specifying what I am trying to do. If I did not include enough info, please let me know, thank you-CraigScreen shot 2013-12-04 at 2.54.39 PM.jpg Screen shot 2013-camera.jpg

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Please check your links, I can see only one image.

Typically the problem is based on scale. If you provide a scene file, I will have a look into it.

I have seen too many tutorials where people have problems getting this “shallow depth of field” effect, obviously they haven’t checked out the real world with a camera yet ;o)

World size and “camera back” need to be seen in relation to each other.

I hope you can share a small file, so we find the solution for you.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 04 December 2013 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
here you go-I deleted some elements, folder was too large, but substituted spheres to try to show DOFDOF-issue

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Craig,

Please use the public address of the file (I assume you use Drop-Box). The link isn’t working for me and I can’t fix it. Sorry.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 December 2013 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

DOF-issue

does this work?-I always make mistakes here, sorry-cz

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Sorry, it does not. The URL I get—is attached in the image—which might work on your computer, as a local url.

Please check out this thread:

http://old.cineversity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3332&PN=1

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

DOF-issue

Thanks Dr. Sassi, but I already know of the old like-I do not have an option that says “copy public link”
I will try again ( I only have a single button mouse, but I do control-click ) in the mean time maybe this works?
PS-perhaps I can stuff my folder and ” attach”

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Same URL. So Sorry, Craig.

OK, out of the blue, try this: increase the Sensor Size/ Gate to lets say 360 or even 3600, just to see what happens. The Focal Length needs to go with it, just increase it to get you field of view back.

Then use the F-Stop of let say F/1.0. Just for the test. ;o) Extreme settings to get more data.

The render settings set to Physical and the DOF (Depth Of Field) checked on. Render it Editor or Picture Viewer. Perhaps your objects disappear now, if the focus point is not set.

Let me know how that goes.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 December 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

Hi Dr. Sassi, thanks again. And so sorry that i put you through my ineptness- I wish that I knew why I do not have the ” copy public folder option)

your solution DID work!! I never did think to use the Sensor Size ( film gate)-I cranked it to 360, Focal length to 209, and although I was using an f-Stop of 1.0, I reduced it to .4, and I get my DOF-I am now viewing Patrick’s tut on physical render. Thank you again. I do have a question that has bothered my even w/standard render, how does the changing of the ” end” distance in the details tab affect the DOF?

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Craig,

Sounds great and it shows that the scene was too large for the wanted DOF. There are tons of DOF calculators available. I have one on my Mac (Lens•Lab) which is also available for portables. Anyway, the idea was a while ago to keep things in scale (before that units where just an idea, nothing real). But the more we go to the simulation of photography/film, the more I suggest to think about that.

The film gate of the largest film camera is to my knowledge below 3600 ;o)  http://robroy.dyndns.info/lawrence/mammoth.html

Anyway, your question about the start and end, this is normally needed to describe the start and the end point of the black and white values of the Depth-Pass in Multi-Pass rendering. It has nothing to do (AFAIK) with the Physical correct Render, other wise it wouldn’t be physical correct, as we can have it not both ways. ;o)
In the render settings we have the options for that gradient based result to change the progression of the DOF in the standard renderer. Pure simulation and not really close to the physical render.

The physical render has the huge advantage to calculate motion blur and DOF at the same time, and as I have demonstrated some years ago, it does calculate based on the film gate, which means, looks around “corners” so to say, in opposite to a pinhole camera simulation from the earlier days. Motion Blur AND DOF is nearly impossible to achieve in “post” later on, as we miss data and secondly once we do one pass the other one is nearly impossible. (There are some tutorials available that suggest other wise. Well, compare the results, so I do not have to judge this stuff. ;o)

BTW, I’m not bothered by anything that will not work. I keep it with NLP, there are no failures, there is only feedback. :o)

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 04 December 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2010-04-13

love your disposition , always !!! so, you are saying that my scene is too large? now I can experiment with a much smaller scene, and continue to try new things-thanks as always, stay well, CZ

Signature 

Craig

Posted: 04 December 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Craig,

Thank you!

Scale of the scene—well to keep it always the same, makes it perhaps easier on the long run, thinking of import and settings, e.g., light object presets.

However, some scenes are better not set in a 1:1 scale, scene such as an exact replica of the “Milky Way” ;o)

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: