A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Adding wings to an “Advanced Quadruped”
Posted: 25 April 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Hi,

I want to add wings to my advanced quadruped rig, and everything seemed to be going smoothly. After adding everything else (legs, tail, neck and head), I click on the Spine and change the Template to Wings. I click on Shoulder, and then I add two Bat Wings.

I then go to the Display tab and change the Object Manager from Components to Full Hierarchy and find the Bat Wing’s Shoulder_null. I give it a constraint tag, set it to PSR, and set the Target as Spine_06_tip_int. This moves it to where I want it.

I change the Object Manager back from Full Hierarchy to Components. I select the L_Wing and rotate it to the position I want and move the “elbow” (Radius) and Wrist to where I want. When I bind my character to the rig, everything seems to be working great. But when I select the Spine (the green arrow kind of symbol in the viewport) to move the body around, the wings don’t move with it.

Can you help me solve this problem? Or is there a better way to accomplish this? I added an example scene for you to dissect.

Thanks!

File Attachments
AdvancedQuadrupedWithWings.c4d.zip  (File Size: 258KB - Downloads: 145)

Posted: 25 April 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Intaglio,

The PSR has in the “Basic” tab a checkbox to enable the function of it. It was not checked.

Please note that with such complex structures the Priority settings of each tag becomes more and more important. If left on default, it might happen that processes becomes delayed by one or even more frames, for each part in the hierarchy chain. (Might, but better save than sorry.)

The PSR that you have used here on the Shoulder_null was set to a joint (Spine_06_tip_int). The Spine_06_tip_int received as well a PSR constrained, her from a controller (Spine_IK_tip_con). I would suggest to set the first PSR from the controller higher than the following, or use for the Shoulder_null PSR directly the controller. IN each case, do tests, as I said yesterday, each rig is different—and I checked here only the set up based on your question.

The R_Wing_con (R_Bat_Wing_cont+) and L_Wing_cont (L_Bat_Wing_cont+) follow the the complete rig, but not subsets of it, but that needs to be addressed later with the way you like to have them “flapped” of course. Currently they do not follow the e.g., the Master_con, again that is an artist decision.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 25 April 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Dr. Sassi, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

I’m wondering how that checkbox ever got unchecked. Oh well. Problem solved.

Posted: 25 April 2013 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Intaglio,

Nice that this works for you. Yes, things like that happen, and I think it happens to all of us, in many flavors. ;o)

Have a great day

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]