A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Bridging points after skinning
Posted: 24 April 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

I created a character and, after skinning it, I decided to add some more detail to the model. It seems I can no longer bridge between points now. Is this normal? A workaround I’ve found is extruding an adjacent edge and welding the points, but being able to bridge would save me a lot of time in this particular case. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted: 24 April 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Intaglio,

Bridging between two objects makes the new polygon part of the object where you start from. In that way you need to start from your character model and not from the “external” object. You should see the problem instantly when you check your new polygon with the weight manager.

I haven’t worked with “bridging” and character tools, but there is a feeling that tells me to not add polygons while the object is bind to joints. All weighting needs to be checked at least. See image. I used the —-> and <—- to indicate from which object I took the initial edge to “bridge”.

To answer the question from a pure modeling point, I was able to use bridge on a “skinned” object without switching it this option (skin) off. If that is a clean workflow, I’m not certain, as the variety of options might be endless.

(I checked as well to use an initial edge on the skinned object and bridged it to another edge on the same object. It worked and the weighting was nicely included. If that is for all situations (weighting) possible, needs to be checked carefully, as weighting is the “life” of the character. I use normally other tools than bridging for work on the same object, it is too easy to miss a point or points)

Good luck with the project

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 24 April 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-02-21

Thanks for your reply Dr. Sassi. I should have made it clear that I’m not trying to bridge points between two objects. I just deleted some polygons from the character, and then I wanted to bridge between points on that same object. I realize it would be easier to understand what I mean if I could provide an example, but I am unable to right now.

Either way, I got around the problem. Thanks for your help!

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Intaglio,

I tested each way and had no problems. Yes, to supply a demo-scene with that problem normally helps.

My suggestion would be, as I did it above, to recreate a simplified scene and explore the problem again.

So far I could see, the bridge tool works nice and keeps the weighting of the points. But yes, each scene is different.

Nice you got a way around this. If you have time after the project, I hope you explore the problem and we can find the right “why” it didn’t worked for you. Let me know.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]