A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Distort Problem in Layer Shader
Posted: 09 April 2013 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

I’m having a problem with the Distort Effect in the Layer shader of a material.  When an object to which that material has been applied is moved or rotated the material using that Distort effect doesn’t stay fixed to the object; the material morphs like an amoeba.  It’s like the Distort material is fixed in 3D space and the object is moving through it.

The attached scene is excerpted from an animation of an ancient pot assembling from shards and pieces.  Most of the materials I used are from Greyscale Gorilla’s Texture Kit Pro, layered to create a weathered clay surface.  In this sample I’ve removed all but two of the materials.  The problem lies in the Alpha channel of the Grime 5 Overlay Procedural material.  If you drill down through the Layer stack you’ll see a Distort layer applied above a bunch of noise shaders.

If you render 15 frames with that Distort layer activated you’ll see the light spots on the shard changing shape as it rotates.  If you deactivate that Distort layer the spots will “stick” properly to the shard when rendered.

I’ve tried switching on and off the 3D parameter and tried different Wrap projections on the Distort layer, but none of those make a difference.

Why is this happening?  Is there a remedy?  I can switch it off on this layer without messing up the material too much, but some of the other materials I’m using use a bunch of those Distort effect in their layer stacks, and deactivating those drastically change the look of the material.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

File Attachments
DistortProblem.c4d.zip  (File Size: 234KB - Downloads: 157)

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Shawn,

My first check was the model itself. My suggestion here, fix the normals, they are not in the same direction.

You might check with the support, but I think you can’t use anything else than the “Noise-Shader>Space>UV (2D)” for noise shaders which are inside the Layer with a distortion filter on top of them.
I can’t find any Information about that give you an first hand information about that, hence my suggestion to check with the support.

Alternative: I have used a Distortion Shader for each Noise, and in that way I could get the distortion to work without that effect.

The attached file contains only two materials, so you need to load that from the material manager. Replace the material for a test by dragging it to the texture tag.

All the best

Sassi

File Attachments
CV2_r14_drs_13_MAla_01.c4d.zip  (File Size: 22KB - Downloads: 159)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 18 April 2013 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2012-04-04

Sorry for the late reply; I’ve had to move to another, more pressing deadline.

I’ll probably have to go in and change the texture space fall all of those noise channels.  Fun.

Thanks.

Shawn

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Shawn,

Let me know if that works for you.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]