A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

models and terrains with a displacement
Posted: 09 April 2013 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  97
Joined  2010-08-21

I have created models and terrains with some displacement maps in their textures. They come from the sculpt tool and also textures that I use for landscape texturing. The thing that I have notices is that if I want another object to touch these objects with displacement, what you thought was the surface is not correct after rendering. So the question is, How do you deal with this so that you don’t have objects looking like they have gone through the surface?

Posted: 09 April 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Vraukis,

Are the Objects (buildings?) on the same level? Then the surface which is supposed to be displaced should be a direct fit to them. The value of the displacement map should be then a mid gray, and “Intensity (Centered)”.

If you have then set up the Displacement “Height” to an value, the black and white of that gray map will reach this value in plus and minus. The Strength of course set to 100%. This works for Red/Green maps in a similar way expect that dark in each channel means no movement and white in red or green means 100% of the height setting. These two colors stand for up and down, speaking of floor level.

If they are all over the place in terms of height, try this:

If Sub-Polygon-Displacement is not needed, use the Displacer Object. This can help as well for a good preview. Note that you can adjust such height maps with the colorizer. Which allows as well to change jsut some leveles of the map, and leave others untouched. If you take an Top view rendering from you scene, you might adjust the map after doing the math for the object position.

Another way is based on cubes that you place on the floor level of the objects. Then place a flat projection of a gradient from the side, with black the lowest and white the highest point. The top view generates then (if the gradient is in the Luminance channel and anything else is off) a nice map to adjust you original map in Photoshop.

It’s a number game.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]