A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

2 of 2
Integration 101
Posted: 08 February 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes—Biagio, that was my first use (Camera-Projection) as well. In 1999, I mentioned that before, based on an old image from 1850, to create an opener with a crane camera move around the building.
Right, the material must have its clarence, or if possible, shot “freshly”. Old images can be improved easily and most people have these days the skills in Ps to do that.

I’m more and more curios about your work :o)

Enjoy

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 February 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-03-29

Well, these are FAR from perfect, as camera mapping is my weakest area (one that I’m hoping to remedy with your tutorials) but here is a clip with some of the shots from our BIO show GHOST INSIDE MY CHILD. 

The first shots are all from the show, and the collapsed building was a photo from the National Archives.  The last two shots are title treatments from another project that uses camera mapping in C4D.  They are definitely rough around the edges, but in the context of the overall show worked out well enough.

My hope would be to improve my camera mapping “digital matte” skills to the point where I could go with a less stylized look, and fake some crane/aerial type shots of houses, locations, etc.

http://jokeandbiagio.com/images/mapping-gfx.m4v

I’m looking forward to following all your tuts and improving grin

Best,
Biagio

Signature 

We make TV and film, and podcast about it.
Joke Productions - company site
Producing Unscripted - podcast and blog about unscripted television
Joke and Biagio - filmmaking blog

Posted: 08 February 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for sharing that, Biagio, I loved to see them. So I get an better idea. Few days ago someone shared as well a link and it was interesting as well. As I said, I love such work.
I think you got the mechanic of it already very nicely down. I also understand the parts that you would like to change.

The perfect camera mapping is close to be invisible, like good “roto” work. There are a lot of little things to do, which can deliver on the end something that we believe the images more. If you go through the first 20 parts of the INT101 series, you might find already some points, even not targeting Camera-Projection/Mapping. It boils mostly down to practical photography and filming. Sometimes it helps to apply a little bit lens distortion and noise over the final footage to make it look more “real”.

If you check out the Cinematography series, it might even help in an indirect way as well. Cinematography is in my “book” not only to get a perfect “image” which then supports the story as well creates a “look and feel”. It is more to guide the eyes of viewer. (Perhaps away from some weaker points ;o)
Leading the eye. As I can see it in your examples, you work already with this idea. Light changes and any movement attracts the eye, especially movement from people. My philosophy works toward an audience that watches the content, I’m not focusing too much on the people who freezes a frame and start nit-picking. We do motion pictures with camera animations, not slideshows, hehe.

(I just used the rain here, to photograph some textures and streets, little things that changes the whole impression of objects, few drops of water and everything changes. Creating images depend on such observations)

Thanks again for sharing.

My best wishes

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 08 February 2013 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Thank you.  And yes, I plan on watching every one of your tutorials!  I’m already up to chapter 2 part 3 and have found many of your tips to be very helpful and insightful, especially your thoughts on grain/noise and workflow with distorting/undistoring the footage.  Joke (my wife) politely asked me to get back to work (busted!) so I’m planning on watching more later.  But it is really great to finally see these tuts going up.

Best,
Biagio

Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Yes Biagio, I see your wife’s eye sneaking even on my screen (via your avatar), please tell her my deepest apologies for distracting you ;o) I wish the both lots of success with your work!

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 11 February 2013 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Cinematography is now live: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cinematography

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Joined  2008-03-29

Great news, Patrick!  Thanks so much for the update…and as you can see I’m now making sure to check my emails wink

About 3 quarters through Dr. Sassi’s first set and really loving it.  Congrats to everyone for putting together such a great set of training.

Best,
Biagio

Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you Patrick for this PR work, very nice of you!

=======

Hey Biagio,

I’m not running out of “thank you” but I hope I do not sounds like an old record: Thank you so much!

The training was of course only possible feeling the great support from the people around me. Especially thanks to Paul Babb, in trusting me with that. Am I allowed to brag a little bit, the content is completely my idea or based on my research/experience on set. Quite honestly, I had great teachers, but to give them all credit—beginning from my first “film and video” class (University of the Arts, Berlin) would be a long list. :o) But thanks to everyone!
The Cinematography series is certainly one of my favorites, and as some other pros told me, this is good stuff to know, even in “Motion Graphics”. Well Nick Campbell told me that and it felt like blowing the dust from an old term, to show the real power of that field. I love it. If someone could measure my passion for cameras and lenses, as well my pure love for light, one would agree that sending these series out and have received so far three awards for it, is in sync with my motivation to “think and work” with anything Cinematography to my advantage. /end of bragging :o)

I hope the two hours of that series are well spend. It is a “lean back and enjoy” series. I hope you have some pop-corn while watching.

Have a great start into your week

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

2 of 2