A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Snapping in R14
Posted: 26 November 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-03-21

I’ve noticed snapping is weird in R14. I’m trying to 3D snap two points together, but it’s apparently dependent on the perspective camera. This is happening on two different computers and is driving me mad. Is there a way to change this? The attached example obviously leads to bad topology, but I need to figure out how to snap correctly in 3D space in R14. My snapping is enabled, 3D or Auto makes no difference. Only “Vertex” is selected.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Can you attach the actual project file?

Posted: 26 November 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Koboldstudio,

While you do that, are all three axis of the vertex highlighted? If only two are highlighted, 3D snap will be reduced to a plane like snap. (If only one axis is highlighted—only this “line” will be used.
Just wild guess, as you are not in the move tool in the first screen shot.
Best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2012-03-21

Patrick and Sassi,
Have you noticed that the snapping has changed in R14? File attached.  Cheers,

Mike

p.s. And yes, the axis are all ok. You should be able to snap either moving the vertices by the handle, or the move tool….at least in R13.

File Attachments
Snapping Fail.c4d.zip  (File Size: 67KB - Downloads: 192)

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Mike,

There are some changes, and to answer for Patrick as well, he showed in his tutorial about the R14 snapping the changes.
http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/the_snap_settings

The file works nicely here. But if I stay in the Live Selection Mode can easily provide results that snap only based on the selected axis, as mentioned above.

I tested this only on Mac, I guess Patrick will do it on Win, which should cover the standards. If you have a concern that something with your R14.x version is not OK, please check if there is an update and if no improvements happen, please contact the support, perhaps there is something I can’t reproduce.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-05-17
koboldstudios - 26 November 2012 09:12 PM

Patrick and Sassi,
Have you noticed that the snapping has changed in R14? File attached.  Cheers,

Mike

p.s. And yes, the axis are all ok. You should be able to snap either moving the vertices by the handle, or the move tool….at least in R13.

It has not only changed, it was completely re-written wink
That said, opening the attached file and trying to snap work as expected.
Is there something specific that you were doing before this occurred, does it happen with every file?

Posted: 26 November 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2012-03-21

Sweet! Now if I can only get it to work. I have two files on two different computers where it’s snapping based on “camera mapping.” That is to say, the selected point snaps in 3D space exactly between the camera and the snap-to point (if that makes any sense). The result is that when one looks through a camera, the point looks like it’s snapped to the correct vertex, but when you orbit, it’s very clearly not snapping to the needed spot. It seems the “workaround” is to use your orthographic viewports. This is just slower and requires two moves, instead of one.

Posted: 26 November 2012 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2006-05-17

Or perhaps contact tech support. smile
You are not experiencing intended behavior.

If using Auto in the perspective view it should be defaulting to a 3D snap rather than a 2D snap like you say. (the camera snapping you refer to is simply a 2D snap in a 3D view.)

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Joined  2012-03-21

Thanks, Patrick. It’s weird because it’s happening on two completely different machines with two different licenses and preference setups (my home and work). Of course I walk over to my colleague’s machine and it works as expected. I think there is a reason my nickname is “The Crashmeister.”

Posted: 05 December 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-05-28

Kobold - did you figure this out in case any of the rest of us hit something similar, or just to give us some ideas of kinds of things to check if snapping isn’t working the way we’d expect?

Posted: 05 December 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Joined  2012-03-21

I’m embarrassed to say, it was because I was dragging a handle. This meant that if I was grabbing the XY handle, it would snap on the handle’s plane. I had to go and grab the point in order for it to snap correctly. Maybe more bad habits from R13 will come back to embarrass me again. smile Le sigh.

Posted: 05 December 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks Kobold Studios to clear that with the Axis, which was my initial idea about that.

Please do not feel embarrassed, as in the past few releases a lot has changed.
Asking and checking is part of the game. On the end the only that counts is that we solve the question.
You did this here. Perhaps someone with the same “problem” will be grateful for your post.

Have a good one

Sassi

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 05 December 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2012-03-21

Thanks, Sassi. It’s always a bit funny though when you have been using a program for 6 years and can’t solve a simple problem on your own. This, of course, can be a by product of bad habits. But you’re right, it’s a good learning experience.

Cheers!

Posted: 05 December 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hey Koboldstudios,

The simple things become more often the least attention, or tend to be assumed to be known. I know that, and so I re-read the manual, take nothing for granted and stay open even for “beginner” stuff. I know there is always something to learn from, at least to close a tiny gap. The problem is of course, the more you know, the less you gain from it, and the motivation might suffer for that area.
On the end to know any trick with the e.g., move tool might be more successful on the long run, than to know the latest cool trick. Well, to know both is perhaps the key ;o)

However, I never think less of anyone asking any kind of question, because that part is then (if answered) not longer in question ;o)

Have a great day and thanks again

Sassi

Signature 

NEW: