A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Waterfall Decay Graph
Posted: 29 November 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-07-27

Hello,

First my apologies in advance for not including a project, but since this is a sound-driven animation question, I cannot get the file size small enough to upload it here.  I think what I want to do, and whether or not it is possible should be pretty clear though.

Right, so what I want to do is create what is known as a Waterfall Decay Graph, which shows the different rates that reverberant sound decays at different frequencies.

The graph is 3-dimensional.  The Y-Axis is amplitude, the X-Axis is Frequency, and the Z-Axis is time.

The setup I have includes a Cloner, which is cloning a single vertex with a Z offset of -2.5 (I have presently 100 clones, but the number is not so important here)

The Cloner has a sound effector, with a Y +100 parameter, an Apply Mode of Step, and a Sample Mode of Average.  All other values are default.

I am animating the Cloner on X over a period of time consistent with the audio example (typically no more than a couple of seconds). I have a Tracer object with follows these vertices and draws a spline behind them.  I then render this spline via Sketch and Toon.

This produces a result that is pretty close to what I want.. however, there is a problem.  With this setup, my graph becomes Y - Amplitude, X - Time, and Z - Frequency.  In other words, my X and Z axes are swapped out.  What would make the result more accurate would be if I could take the resulting spline, and connect the points along the Z axis, break the connections on the X axis, and rotate the camera.

So, I need to figure out how to do any of the following:

- Generate this accurately from the start where I have frequency ‘slices’ that build on Z over time

- OR find a way to take the points generated and get rid of the spline connections that exist on X, so I can create new ones on Z, without having to do a ‘break segment’ for each and every vertex pair.

Thanks in advance,
  - Will

Signature 

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Will,

Perhaps in that way?  If so, please check out the “Tracer.1” Tab>Object: The Key-frames that I have set.

All the best

Sassi

P.S. the Tracer should be below the Cloner Object, but it works as well as in the file.

File Attachments
CV2_R14_DRS_12_MGse_01.zip  (File Size: 690KB - Downloads: 185)
 Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]