A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Random effector vs Random Field
Posted: 07 September 2022 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Hello

Sorry if this questions has already been asked…I’m trying to understand what the difference is between a random effector and a plain effector with a random field.  It seems like the second option is more powerful?  If so why does the random effector even exist on its own?

Thanks!

Posted: 07 September 2022 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Alex,

The Random Effector was there from the beginning, 16 years by now. Fields later came into the game, replacing Falloffs and coming with a more extensive set of options than falloffs.

Yes, they are similar in most parts, but one of the main talking points back when Fields were introduced was that a Plain Effector with a Field could often replace the other more specialized Effectors.

The main advantage of the Random Effector is that it is one object instead of two. In complex set ups, one might like simplicity as much as possible.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 08 September 2022 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2012-01-05

Thank you Sassi, that makes perfect sense.  I understand how it would make sense to keep the simple Random Effector the sake of simplicity, and glad to know I wasn’t missing anything..

Thanks!!

Posted: 08 September 2022 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Alex.

My best wishes

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]