A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

NEW USER - HELP WITH RENDERING PLUGINS
Posted: 21 April 2020 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2020-03-30

Hi,
I want to start understanding the rendering plugins for c4d.
I tried to download both the demo versions for redshift and octane.
I cant seem to get either of them to run.

I was able to install octane to my plugin folder, open it in c4d but when I tried to preview a render it came up with an error saying I need a CUDA device, no clue what that is.
With redshift, I cant even seem to get it to open in c4d.

Also looking into Arnold and Vray - open to suggestions on what is best to use.

I am running off of:
macOS High Sierra
iMac Pro (2017)
Processor 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Startup Disk MAcintosh HD
Graphics Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB

Thank you again in advance

Posted: 21 April 2020 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Joined  2020-03-30

how do I run octane and redshift on a mac ?

looks like I need:

NVidia GPU with CUDA compute capability 3.0 or higher and 4GB VRAM

Posted: 21 April 2020 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi ed,

I have merged the two threads. I hope you don’t mind.

The Radeon card is the problem, for now. Redshift has Metal since a while it works, it is stable, but not ready for prime time (speed-wise). This was said yesterday in the announcement our CEO did, and he mentioned that it will take a few months.

I’m not clear about Octanes ideas about Mac support, they announced it in 2019.

So, for now, you will have to change the hardware or wait.
If anything for Mac and Metal happens, I will update this thread. I wait for this as well.

Last night I saw that the CEO of RED announced Metal support for DaVinci, and he mentioned (on FaceBook) that Apple helped a lot to make 8K raw conversation faster than realtime. But also here, he said that the speed will see updates. I mention that because it seems to be a development that happens all over the place. This is an excellent indicator that we will see great things coming our way.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 21 April 2020 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2020-03-30

Thank you Dr. Sassi, this makes sense.

I have downloaded the trial version of vray in the meantime which i think is compatible with macs. although when trying to run it i comes up with an error. im using 4d r21

also just discovered xparticles and cycles 4d - are these compatible with macs? if so would they be something you would recommend?

thank you again for all of your help

Posted: 22 April 2020 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi ed,

What I would suggest is to make a list of what features and aesthetics are important to you. Perhaps in hierarchic order.
To pay money for anything should be based on such reasoning. They are not all the same; otherwise it would be easy. Third-party-renders for Cinema 4D are on the market for a few decades.
Every once in a while, a new one shows up and has some features others do not have. Then others catch up or not. To give you a little bit of my digital background: I bought my first external render in 1994, RenderMan from Pixar, and two decades ago, I purchased Maxwell, etc.
I haven’t used any since way too long. I bought them at that time for different reasons. I would not invest in this if you have not made that list and checked if you don’t get that with the native renders right now.

Each renderer has a learning curve. Which is from my point of view the highest investment [your time]. The price nor subscription of such an app comes not even close to that.
So, make your shopping list, and what qualities you want to SEE in the final image. The only thing that I find otherwise interesting is the realtime response, as it accelerates your workflow. This time savings needs to be in balance with the invested money and time to keep this tool as a proficient knowledge in your toolbox.

I’m 100% biased, so to ask me is kind of dangerous. I tell you to use RedShift, as it will have the best integration at one point thinkable. Updates will be faster available due to the companies umbrella to own both. Again, I’m biased. I doubt that anyone has mastered all of them at the highest possible level. Besides being an owner, every single artist has his or her particular target with such a renderer. Are these congruent with yours is the question?

Specific error questions might be best addressed in the forum of that particular application. It is nearly impossible to keep track and updated with over a dozen of specific third party renders. I hope that makes sense.

As long as you can test and explore them based on your needs, you might save some money. However, the art of setting light and cameras, besides any other part in the scene, needs to be understood, so you can get an idea of what the renderer really provides.

Learn the native render that you can get great results from it. Then you can see what you really get on top of that from the 3rd party.

My best wishes, stay safe, stay healthy.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]