A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Viewport navigation?
Posted: 03 June 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-25

Hello,

I’m coming from Modo and new to C4D R13. I like working in a single viewport perspective most of the time when modeling, switching to orthographic views when needed and then back to perspective. One thing in C4D I find irritating is that when switching from one view setting to another resets the zoom level back to some default value and I have to zoom in on my model again.

Is there some way to lock the view zoom level so that when I switch views this doesn’t happen. I know working in 4 views you can synchronize the orthographic views in the preferences but this does not seem to work when you have a single viewport and switch between views.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted: 03 June 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Bob,

Being used to a certain workflow is something that I do understand and the pain if this workflow is not a given.

Do you have in the preferences set the Navigation>Orthogonal Viewports to be in sync?

However, even that shouldn’t change the perspective view at all. At least this should not happen at all.

Two things might help, even I can’t reproduce your problem in my setup:

Use for the Perspective view a different camera (You can have as much as you like.

besides that, you can call up a new Window>New View Panel… and you can drag that with the left upper field (the point structure) to the other structured field, to get a tab for each window, now you click on these tabs and you should be back to your way of working. If that works, you might save this as start layout.

If nothing helps, check back with the Support about that.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 June 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2006-05-17

Hi Bob,

Perhaps if you can explain how you are changing the view.
To me it sounds like you are using the “cameras” dropdown.
This is resetting that specific view panels projection to whatever option you want.

This method is fine but you run into the issue you have stated.

Try the “panels” menu instead.

From here you can choose:
panel 1 = perspective
panel 2 = top
panel 3 = right
panel 4 = front

you can also use shortcuts:
F1-F5 with show perspective, top, right, front, all four.

Next you can click the icon to the furthest right on the view panels menu bar, next to the navigation icons.
this toggles between all 4 viewpanels and which ever one you click on.

Finally you can also simulate this behaviour by middle clicking in the view panel to switch to all 4 viewpanels then middle clicking on the view panel of choice (this is my favorite method, and is way faster than going through the menu)

Posted: 03 June 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-04-25

Sassi,

I was using using the Cameras pulldown the change the view. Even though I have Synchronize Orthographic views checked in preferences whenever I would switch views via the Cameras pulldown it would reset the zoom level.

Patrick,

Using the Panels pulldown or the F1-F5 keys gives me the behavior I was looking for.

Thanks,
Bob