A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Animating Dynamics On/Off doesn’t work as expected.
Posted: 05 March 2020 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  292
Joined  2017-09-24

Hi,

I’m planning to stop jitter dynamics completely.
I don’t see what the fuss with this, it’s already at the state of “stillness” and is not solving complicated movements.
It just has to stay at rest. But it keeps jittering.

On my scene below, I have to have high friction so the objects stay on top of each other.

Since I can’t totally eliminate the jitter by just mere settings, I was hoping to eliminate it
by switching dynamics on and off.

But it doesn’t work as expected. The objects go back to its original state.

You can see the problem here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b87ef5i7p9my9v/c4d226_stop_jitter_dynamics.c4d?dl=0

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

Signature 

C4D Body Mechanics Rigs (Gumroad)  //    Website

Posted: 05 March 2020 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the dropbox file!

At the moment the Dynamics are switched off, the positions that the Clones would have (without Dynamics) at that time will be taken. There is even a transition value [time] for that.

====

I have set up a few parameters and other set-ups in the file below. Not all need to be used, but it might help.

There is an option to set up a Friction Object. Which pulls energy out of the Clones, similar to the Damping option inside the Dynamic Tag, but with Fields, you can be more precise with those.

The Project scale is set to 20cm, which might help as well.

The details of your clone are not relevant to the dynamic effects but might have slowed down the animation. I introduced a Proxy object here.

The Dynamic has its own time, so I reduced the time scale at a specific point slowly to 0%, which stops all Dynamics. If you need a mixed time environment, use Alembic to “bake” that.

I have set the steps and sub-step a little bit higher.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/4GQEiqtPsQGZi2MXWhQUWCtX3BPnZmWPq410rbqauuL

Perhaps the MoGraph Cache will offer some advantage with the Offset-parameter to keep things quiet at some point.

Again, this is a collection of options, they do not need to be used together, these are suggestions.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 07 March 2020 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-09-24

Thanks for the response.

For most part, the suggestion solution changes the inherent behavior of the dynamics (project scale, friction etc).
I prefer not to do that. I’m already okay with the behavior of my dynamics.

The solution that would be useful in my use case is the time scale. The problem is it is applied to all the dynamics object.
Is it possible to limit it to a specific dynamics tag?

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2020 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

As I wrote, you need the time set for groups, you have to export this, preferably as Alembic. Which, in return, allows for some more adjustments of time even.

The time set up for each Tag needs to be stored as Cache. If you use the MoGraph cache that allows for adjustments of group-time (Offset). Preferably name the Tag what speed you have had used, so any change, later on, will be apparent.

Anyway, here is a file, time is set to 100% and the offset freezes the clones.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/aXOHpVSuwzzHB4fQx2LbYpP4j3IqeZyn00VmVgFWVcX

You might explore the Field Force, while in “Set Absolute Velocity” mode and Strength is zero.

All the best

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 07 March 2020 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-09-24

Hi Dr. Sassi,

Apologies. I forgot to address Alembic Export.
The problem with the Alembic Export is it’s stuck with the current dynamic simulation.
It can no longer interact with other dynamics since it is already baked. (Correct me if I’m wrong).

I was aiming for making them at rest for a given time (thru time scale through the specific dynamics tag) while another object dynamics is in motion.
Then, later on, make the time scale of the specific dynamics tag back to normal so it can interact with another dynamics.

Currently, since the time scale is global, it also affects the dynamics of the other objects.

I recheck the dynamic tag parameters. It seems like there is no specific time scale option for each dynamic tag.
I’ll just modify the animation as needed.

No further action required.

Thanks

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2020 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Ben,

Yes, Alembic is like baking.

I’m not sure how much the interaction will take place then (well, I am sure, it will have none…). If it is baked or cache, it will disable further interaction. Any future interactions without the cache will change the outcome.

If that dynamic you have set up relies on 100.0% on the parameters given, then you are out of luck, as any adjustment will change the result. I can’t help you with a Gordian Knot like this, nor do I see that there is a given way.
If there is no change what-so-ever allowed, then that is the end of it. All my suggestions will have an influence on the previous result.

You like to have it in a way where I can’t help you with: I think I showed all the possible options and mentioned explicitly that not all need to be used at once. To set up the right scale for the project, and use a proper proxy might help without changing the outcome, but you say it does. So, I really don’t know what else to do.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW: