A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Extrude Outline problem(newbie alert)
Posted: 15 February 2020 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-03-18

Solved:
Somehow I managed to have 80 points on this simple spline. Some where even sharing the same position so that was the problem
Hi,
In my misearble attempts to learn c4d I came again across a problem that I could not find a solution online so far. Maybe someone can help me out.
I am following an old tutorial that was done in R16 but that should propably not matter because the tools used here are very basic.
So I recreating the tutors work by making an editable spline to create a frame for an arch window.
1. spline editable.
2. Make outline
3. extrude

The original file shows the extrusion only on the frame but when I extrude it covers the whole object.
I have attached the scenes with two models. One is a copy paste from the tutorial files and the other is my attempt to recreate it.
I am using R21 on 10.13.6 osx
Where do I make a mistake?
Thank You very much in advance
Piotr

File Attachments
ExtrudeProblem.zip  (File Size: 25KB - Downloads: 182)

Posted: 15 February 2020 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for he scene file!

Please have a look at the screen-capture below.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/kLQAmpFmoIxlAaG2QX1CNZwrXNHupoxyvSZLZZ9vipy

I have used four steps to explore the set up. Some of them might be never needed, but this is what I want to know about the parts in the scene.

I swapped the Splines, and that the result stays the same, this indicates, that the splines are the problem, not the Extrude parameters.

Even knowing that the Extrude is OK, I selected both to see where they might differ. Only in the position, which shouldn’t matter here.

I checked the direction of the Splines. Also here, that should really affect the result, but it was and will be a step that I want to know.

The structure Manger allows for a variety of informations. Here the obvious shows instantly what is wrong. The Left version has way more points than the right one. This is the problem.
It also shows, for both, that the Z values are zero (or equal among all), which is good.

In the following I explode the problem Spline, select only two that I need, and use the Connect and Delete function, to have it working nicely.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 15 February 2020 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2019-03-18

Thank You soo much for this video!
I was stuck with this for quiet a while and couldn’t point to the problem.
Now, thanks to Your video I have learned some new things apart from learning about my issue!
Thank You
Piotr

Posted: 15 February 2020 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

You’re very welcome, Piotr, thanks for the feedback.

Enjoy your weekend

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]