A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Optimize Inheritance Scene
Posted: 30 September 2019 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2019-09-29

Hello to the forum I am new to C4D and this is my first actual project!

The scene I have is basically a transformation from an Icosahedron sphere to an extruded logo via Matrix and Inheritance.

I wanted to make the polygons of the sphere to transform into the logo so I used Fracture Object on the Disconnected polygons of the sphere to make the transition.

I am also using a Plain effector with Random/Linear Fields on my Matrix to create fracture fade in effect.

The problem is that it takes around a minute to calculate the transformations and the render itself in Redshift is like 20seconds per frame since a its very simple scene. But for 1200 frames that is rough.

Is there a way to optimize the scene? Like a bake option for fields and Matrix, cause my Matrix has 9000 matrices and the Fracture since its from subd sphere is pretty dense and heavy on Explode Segments.

I have some other issue later in the scene as well with inheritance but I don’t wanna bombard you with questions.

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 30 September 2019 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Nikos,

I have sent you an upload link (Cineversity Private Messages). I can’t see what you see on your screen and certainly have no idea how you have set up the scene.

Perhaps Thinking Particles would be much faster, or caching the scene via MoGraph Cache, eventually baking it as Alembic might help. Since I believe that guessing is a waste of time, on both sides, it is not only based on that very professional. A scene file works, or it doesn’t; Hence, the upload link. If you place word private in your file name, I know that I can’t share it here (Which I would love at least, as the forum should be a place for many people. But I can create an example file then).

I would suggest checking in the Redshift forum about render settings that might slow your work down. Whereby 20 seconds might be absolutely reasonable, and nothing to improve, again that would be a guess.

All the best

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 30 September 2019 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Hello Dr. Sassi thank you for the fast response,
I tried to optimize it before I send it to you.

The scene basically starts with a fade in until 100 frame, then stuff happens at 550+ the Inheritance is getting disintegrated by a linear field which works as a falloff sadly it doesn’t seem to work properly since the inheritance is happening outside the linear field as well… At the final frames the sphere is created.

Please let me know if there is a way to optimize it or another way around the same outcome since I am not really a professional.
Feel free to post the scene results here its alright.

Thank you for your time

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 30 September 2019 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Nikos,

Perhaps you have to place the Linear field elsewhere, but that is another guess. Please share the file of it – otherwise I can’t really do anything for you. I really would like to make it work for you.

Here is an alternative, the “classic” way to “morph” polygons as particles from one to the next object. Which is a fake, but it works fast and with any polygon object, even with very different polygon amounts.

Project file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/YICzhF0LDOLlGyYGYTOMuYpjuXAz441MVve5de5oP3w
I have added a v.2 (…_02.c4) based on an abc-file (Alembic) to it, so you can test it.

I will check later in the evening if I go a file, no need to write here, I get an email from Dropbox about it. I leave the file request a few more hours open.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 30 September 2019 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Hello!
I thought I replied before to your inbox request you didn’t receive it?
Thanks for the attachment tho I am gonna have a look!

Here is a Dropbox link since the scene is exceeding the maximum size

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zdpefa119qpc3i/9000 matrixes.rar?dl=0

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the file Nikos, as mentioned, I get an email from Dropbox when it arrives. This was what I needed to reply with much more certainty. Really grateful about your effort.

I have not gotten any private message [PM], anyway, I use PMs only to send links, any discussion should be in the forum.

Here is an example file.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/0IzkDXVQccWzKUZsDzxsUbYln2WhqoOro5ehmQflDQA

Instead of a Fracture, just use the PolyFX instead. It should give you anything you need for this set-up.

Please make sure that the flow of information is from top to bottom in the Object Manager.
To have an object providing the information below the object that needs the data will lead to problems.
In a nutshell, if the information is not processed, the data produced a frame before will be used. One frame delay might not be noticeable to most, but it is possible to get delays of many frames… and that will be noticed by everyone.
Don’t get followed by the refresh from the editor view, which refreshes often, the rendering will do it only once.

The files I have sent to your private message box are sorted. One file is close to yours, excluded all the mp4/hdr/png files of course, which blew up that file to 100MB, now its 3MB (zipped [I don’t use rar, ever])

I hope the files work as you thought, it was, carefully said, not really clear what you wanted, as some settings canceled each other out. I hope I came close.

My best wishes

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 October 2019 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Good morning Dr.Sassi and thank you for the example with the Inheritance effector.

I am currently working on a TP Geometry version like you proposed and I will post the scene soon.

Then I will try the main scene with PolyFX.

Unfortunately I cant see your new private message with the scene on my Inbox, I only have your first request for the file.

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

So after some tries and reading on R21 Help I think I settled on the disintegration.
I kinda wish I knew how to add falloffs to it though.
By the way this method is super light indeed smile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ol59s3mwlydh6b/Wots_TP_Test_v6_DrSassi.zip?dl=0

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks for the feedback, Nikos.

I would typically start with a low res object setup. It is a common phenomenon, to begin with, scenes that take too much time. Hence my little set up above. Working with “proxies” allows for a faster redraw. It also provides the base to set the timing for the animation in a much better way. Perhaps that is not a problem for you, here on my machine it gets really slow.

(Which usually is one main argument to work with Redshift for light, and material setups, to gain faster feedback.)

Going through scene files of others for over 15 years by now, this observation goes as well for any other parts.

Whatever can be thrown into the scene quickly will be done to provide a false feeling of progress, mostly elements that are not really crucial at the early stages of a project slow down anything else. To work with low res objects feels like extra work, but what counts on end is fast feedback to iterate faster through the settings. A reason why people love Redshift, so far I can tell.
Since I don’t know your background, you might toss this idea, but I like to share those things, as we are in a forum.

Let me know if you have any other question! But you seemed to get quickly quite far with the manual, which is great!

I’m happy to help.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 October 2019 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Thank you for the compliment, actually I am a Generalist working on 3ds max all these years, I decided to switch to C4d recently since it is working miracles with my procedurally based thinking.

I appreciate your tip about the small scene setup for testing, it sounds spot on.

Anyhow I decided to go with a TP setup for the project, I am working on it all day and I am almost done.

One thing though I would like to ask, is there a way to add anticipation and acceleration somehow on the Animation, like a way to bake the XPresso and/or TP Geometry then control the keyframes, I would use Fields and Effectors but they cannot apply. I hope you understand.

I noticed the Stay value does something similar in PBlurp if I have Higher Value at top object and Lower at the bottom one, but I cant really manipulate it easily.

Thank you for helping by the way, sorry for making novice questions, I try to search stuff my self before posting but this is completely new stuff for me.

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Nikos,

Never consider a question novice, all questions are relevant.

Thinking Particles and baking is not really an option.

Is the same similar to the one you have sent me?

The upload link is active if there was a change.

Cheers.

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 October 2019 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Hello Dr. Sassi!

Haha ok you are right.

I see so no bake option, its fine.

I have changed the scene, and added more frames since then but yeah it should work fine if you can test on it I would be grateful!

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Nikos,

The workaround for baking would be to feed the particles into MoGraph, but that would require a more complex set up than to go from the start with MoGraph. The second option to bake this would be to write it out as Alembic. Which leads me to mention that small setups are helpful here as well, to see if the results are to your liking. For example, not all baking processes include motion information, which might reduce the option to enable Motion Blur.

The Force Field in R21 should work with Particles, but in the last hour, I tested any option I can think of, and it doesn’t change any direction of the PBlurb setup.

When I place the TP Geometry into a Spline Wrap, it also distorts the final shape. More tests are needed.

I mention these explorations, as I (mostly) never answer from memory, as things change and as mentioned above, a scene file work or it doesn’t.

Let me know if there is anything else; if so I’m happy to look into it, but please give me a little information about the targets (like a storyboard) as all the scenes I have seen so far, tell a different story.

Cheers

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 October 2019 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

P.S.: Here is a little tip how to adjust the path, in shape and speed:
Project file
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/HU3RpaMcXKEY0VcnudcjvhU25WNQKShg80Ofl4PcjFS

And perhaps a little idea on top of that.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/TDK5MhipNOXWcxc3OAkyrd4ksSfUqezLBorGnObI4Ju

Signature 

NEW:

Posted: 01 October 2019 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Joined  2019-09-29

Thanks DR!!

I will check the scene tomorrow since its getting late and I have to queue some test renders for the night.

I admire you for testing out new stuff and continuously learning, that’s a great spirit!

I love the feedback you write as well since its very informative.

Thank you once again and have a goodnight!

Best,
Nikos

Posted: 01 October 2019 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Joined  2011-03-04

Thanks, Nikos.

Learning never stops. grin

Have a great evening.

Signature 

NEW: