A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

How to interrupt a Cloth Sim Calculation
Posted: 01 April 2012 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-02-19

Is there a reliable way to stop C4D from calculating a Cloth sim, Thinking Particles or Dynamics sim?

C4D seems to be missing an ability to interrupt, break or escape out of a lengthy or looping calculation routine.

Hitting play on the timeline, or the F8 key, can work if you are very patient and precise. I am neither so I tend to click it twice, thinking the first time I clicked it me/C4D missed it. So it pauses then starts to play again and keeps on calculating.

A few commons sense tricks I use to minimize the risk, but none are ideal if you release the hounds before preparing a way out.

Send the simulation to a Cache—a cache render can easily be canceled and they don’t loop when they reach the end of the timeline.
Make the timeline only as long as needed (not always ideal)
Trim the work area to the size needed (not always ideal)
Optimize the scene before—(not always ideal)

Of course Force-quit and hope it saved a recent backup copy

SOLUTION:
The Pause and Play button function should be a separate single action button, not Pause/play switch…

Thanks in advance for your reply…

Signature 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
- albert einstein

Posted: 01 April 2012 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Giant Simon,

The manual mentioned, here and there, to use the ESC key. Any experience so far with this in the case above?

Suggestion, please to MAXON directly, it might have way more impact.
http://www.maxon.net/support/suggestions.html

Sometimes my “Escape” is to hit the render button, when the Play/Pause won’t deliver a solution. Yes, to melt these two function in one button (Pause/Play) was certainly not my wish.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]