A new version of Cineversity has been launched. This legacy site and its tutorials will remain accessible for a limited transition period

Visit the New Cineversity

Time offsets in mograph with constraint tag
Posted: 03 April 2012 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

Am trying to animate a bunch of audio speakers using mograph cloners, however i think i’ve come up with a limitation and wondering if anyone knows of a workaround.

Essentially the problem is i’ve animated the rotation of a object which drives the rotation of the speaker by a constraint tag and then cloned this all over a surface.  The problem comes when i’m trying to use a random effector to randomise the time offset.  It works on the animated object but not on the speaker (being driven by the constraint tag). 

The idea is that all the speakers are rotating around, all time offset randomly from each other.  But at a certain time i need them to all stop, ignore the animation and face a certain direction.  I figured that by using a constraint, i could animate its weight off at a certain point and use a second constraint target to get them to face the new direction.

Don’t know if this makes any sense at all, if anyones got a workaround or a better way of doing it, would be open to suggestions : )

Posted: 03 April 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi there,

A little set up (an stripped example scene) to see your “flow of information” would be nice.

The whole idea is somehow clear, but not fully, as I do not know your set up.

I would try to split up the different information by setting up “maybe” rotation (incl. offset) via an Inheritance Effector and “direct” with these.

OR

Get the ration with all its qualities set up with Polygon Objects (single Polygon Object) and turn that into an Animation Clip. In that way you can “stop” the motion as you need it, and avoid any Priority issues.

All the best

Sassi

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]

Posted: 03 April 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2010-11-01

ah of course, don’t know why i didn’t think of inheritance effector earlier.  Is there a way tho to get the time offset more random?  If I increase the step gap it works great, but the animation is offset sequentially along the clones - whereas i want the step gap to be randomly spread out over the clones.

Thanks heaps!

Posted: 03 April 2012 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Total Posts:  12043
Joined  2011-03-04

To get an idea about what you really want to do, a sketch or a scene file would be helpful.

:o)

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.
Cinema 4D Mentor since 2004
Maxon Master Trainer, VES, DCS

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

NEW:

NEW: Cineversity [CV4]