Mixamo to Cinema 4D Character Workflow: Mix Motion Capture with Motion Clips
Posted: 13 March 2019 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2017-08-26

Hello,

I’ve been following the “Mixamo to Cinema 4D Character Workflow” tutorial series by Steve Teeple (really great tutorials, btw), but I’ve run into a snag.

I have:
1) Downloaded a stock character and a couple animations from Mixamo as FBX files.
2) Imported these into C4D and baked the animations into motion source files.
3) Added a pivot object for each clip at 0,0,0.

Everything works fine when I put the motion clips end to end with the relocated Pivot for the second clip’s start (for example the first animation ends at fr 42, and the second started at fr 43), BUT things go crazy if I overlap the sequences by a couple frames to try and smooth out the transition from clip to clip. What happens is the skin jumps completely off of the rig to a different location during the overlap, then snaps back to the proper location as soon as the overlap is finished.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I’m an experienced (read: grizzled and jaded) C4D animator, but new to Motion Mode / Motion Clips, so I may well be making a very obvious noob mistake.

I’m in R20 with the latest update, running on a Mac running OS 12.6.

Thanks very much,
- Greg Reynard

PS: I tried to upload a stripped down zipped (2.4Mb after zipping) version of the scene to illustrate the issue, but I keep getting the error message “The file you are attempting to upload has invalid content for its MIME type.”

Posted: 13 March 2019 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  6617
Joined  2011-03-04

Hi Greg Reynard,

I have sent you an upload link to the Cineversity Private Message Inbox.

I will have a look at your file.

Talk to you soon.

Cheers

Signature 

Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen Ph.D.

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials: Texture, Panorama, HDRI, Camera Projection, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrSassiLA/playlists

Posted: 13 March 2019 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Joined  2017-08-26

Thank you, Dr. Sassi! Just uploaded the file.

Cheers,
- Greg

Posted: 13 March 2019 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for the file, Greg, I have sent you a link with a scene file.

Please have a look at the screen capture.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ezAeyk9v97poaMJzRAXObYcvMQHXi35gerMKgPLWwKR

Please note that I have cut the clips closely where I think that a proper motion match could happen (body orientation and leg constellation). The Cut/Connect is available with a right mouse click on the clip in question. Cut and do not forget to shut the Cut/Connect off. It is only roughly cut with an overlap in mind.
The transition is by default Ease-Ease, but you can finetune that of course.
The main idea is to see the Clip-Ghost in the editor view and use the Pivot to adjust accordingly.

I know that there are suggestions to do it without a Cut, but you might try both ways. Whatever suits your workflow.

The third clip in the Timeline could have the timing adjusted, from slow to fast, with the (clip active) Attribute manager> Advanced>Timing.
Example-Screen-Shot
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/ctWLIvxWyUSIGBFn9ffCfRd2UZqCXwC3cma05IRMIq5

Let me know if that solves your problem.

Cheers

Signature 

Photography For C4D Artists: 200 Free Tutorials: Texture, Panorama, HDRI, Camera Projection, etc.

Posted: 13 March 2019 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2017-08-26

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into the issue I was having. Your work and thoughtful consideration is, as always, much appreciated.

The tweaks in timing you have made definitely made the transition between clips much smoother. Your advice re. tweaking the timing and looking for compatible limb configurations and trimming the clips to the best advantage also makes a lot of sense. Furthermore, the file you sent back to me made me realize the mistake I’d made that caused the skin to rip away from the rig completely at during the blend frames: I had each motion clip on a different layer! For some reason, I thought that’s how it was meant to work. When I saw that you’d placed them all on the same layer, the lightbulb went off and I understood my error. I went back to my original and cut and pasted the clips onto the same layer, the overlap no longer completely left the rig during the transition.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
- Greg

Posted: 13 March 2019 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Joined  2011-03-04

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, Greg, really appreciated.

Yes, I found the little prep-time pays off, as the transition is faster to ‘match’.

Please let me know if there is anything else, I’m happy to look into it. If it is not related to tutorials, please use the Q&A forum.

My best wishes for your project.

Signature